Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lok grips palm swell or vz palm swell???

Superpipe9

i have the vz palm swells and with the mag release that's on my shadows i don't think i need the cut out.

i've felt the lok's just by themselves, not on a gun. they felt good too. to me, the vz's just feel a little more "finished".

I have both. 

The Boggies feel slightly larger. 

The VZ's (diamond backs) feel slightly more aggressive. 

I like the mag cut on the LOK but don't know if it really helps. Definitely doesn't hurt. 

To me it 6 one way half a dozen the other. 

The LOK are heavier by about 5 g which puts me really close to the max weight for IDPA.  I think my gun w/mag is at 1214 g. Cutting it close to the max 1219 g. 

I like both. 

I have shot a gun with the Lok grips and really liked them but I also like my Vz diamond back grips without the palm swell, they are aggressive and feel great. I wish I knew someone around my area who had the vz palm swell grips. Anyone else on here have any experience with both?

Lok's are on a black Friday special at http://benstoegerproshop.com/black-friday/?search_query=&page=1&limit=20&sort=bestselling&category=492&is_category_page=1

Haven't shot the VZ's , have Lok palm swells. With the CZ extended mag release I do not know by feel if I'm shooting the gun with the cut out or the one without, with a standard length mag release I think the cut out will be a good idea for me (have a set in orange ordered that way for my 75 compact), in any case I prefer the look with the cutout. 

I helped Jayson design the LOK Palms out of frustration of the thin grips currently offered for the CZ75s. The first prototypes did not have the mag relief. Jayson tried about 8 different cuts before settling on the main design he offers on the website that I refer as a half relief, or the deeper relief cut (full) that I prefer which is available through him upon request. Shooting all 3 designs I think the mag relief is definitely the way to go, even with an extended button. I found my reloads were a lot faster with them. With no relief cut I had to flip the gun in my hand to reload it, and on the timer noticed some degradation. 

As far as the VZ grips they are a great product and feel really good in the hand as well. Both companies answered our demands for thicker grips. As someone said earlier there are some good sales going on this weekend. BSPS on the LOKs and VZ direct I believe is 15 or 25% off all pistol grips.  Good luck whichever route you go. 

what i like about the Lok is you can meet jayson in person, that's always cool. also i like how the texture/dimples continue all the way back to the backstrap on the Loks vs teh VZ where that area is smooth and I end up overlapping it with griptape.

With either, you guys figure out a good way to keep them from loosening up? I'm using an oring + the standard CZ washer and keeping them tight is a bit of a nuisance. Have been hesitant to slather on the loctite but maybe that is the way to go. 

1 hour ago, JHicks8h said:

I helped Jayson design the LOK Palms out of frustration of the thin grips currently offered for the CZ75s. The first prototypes did not have the mag relief. Jayson tried about 8 different cuts before settling on the main design he offers on the website that I refer as a half relief, or the deeper relief cut (full) that I prefer which is available through him upon request. Shooting all 3 designs I think the mag relief is definitely the way to go, even with an extended button. I found my reloads were a lot faster with them. With no relief cut I had to flip the gun in my hand to reload it, and on the timer noticed some degradation. 

As far as the VZ grips they are a great product and feel really good in the hand as well. Both companies answered our demands for thicker grips. As someone said earlier there are some good sales going on this weekend. BSPS on the LOKs and VZ direct I believe is 15 or 25% off all pistol grips.  Good luck whichever route you go. 

Reminds me, Jayson said that if you have the dremel skill (and the dust mask , fiberglass) shape can be tweaked a bit. Got a piece of scrap material to play with. 

2 hours ago, JHicks8h said:

So have you had problems with them loosening up? The guys gun that I shot that had the lok grips said they kept loosening up. I use loctite on my current VZ diamondbacks. So you can have a full thumb cut out like the vz super scoop? Sucks that stoegers sale seems to only have the half cut. Is Jayson going to have a Black Friday sale or cyber Monday sale? Thanks

8 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Just use o-rings, and the grips won't loosen up.

With mine it seems to depend on the production tolerances of the particular gun. When there is a tight fit between the frame and the front of the grip then the lock washer & o-ring works. 

When there is more of a gap then after few stages the grip is loose enough to pivot while I'm shooting. Still works, just bugs me. With rubber grips there was enough compression & friction to allow the grip to stay secure, with grips that are basically not compressible and which have very low friction against steel it only takes a tiny smidge of a turn for the screw to be backed away far enough to allow the grip to pivot somewhat freely. 

Thought about trying to use something to narrow the gap between the front of the grip and the gun frame, but have not figured it out yet. 

Ideas welcome. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

14 hours ago, Superpipe9 said:

So have you had problems with them loosening up? The guys gun that I shot that had the lok grips said they kept loosening up. I use loctite on my current VZ diamondbacks. So you can have a full thumb cut out like the vz super scoop? Sucks that stoegers sale seems to only have the half cut. Is Jayson going to have a Black Friday sale or cyber Monday sale? Thanks

I have not had any problem with them loosening up. I heard this from a few others as well. I use the o-rings he supplied with the grips. Here are photos of the larger scoop. The scoop Jayson offers and what you see on at BSPS is cut at a different angle on the CNC machine. I have not seen any big sales from LOK grips for the holiday. 

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.23.32 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 11.23.51 AM.png

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

What size o-rings are you using?

I use the stock ones with a little bit of the low strength Loctite. A little heat from a soldering iron and it comes right off but no issues with it backing out.

i use no washer, no o ring, no loctite. i use the stock phillips head that comes in the rubber grips, but w/out the washer. i also leave a screwdriver out on my bench and just give them a quick check/tighten once a week.

I've had both and prefer the palm swell Lok grips. They both work great. Just personal preference i guess.

My Lok grips have been on my two Accu Shadows all shooting season and have never come loose. Just screwed them on with supplied o-rings.

I did a little comparing of the VZ palm swell DB against the LOK boogies palm swell. I think I prefer the VZ. I feel they grip better. They're thinner on the front edge by the mag release so I feel it's about the same as the boogies w/cut. 

The boogies fill the hand a little more. 

I got orange boogies like in the pic above so I'll probably have a hard time selling them. 

I've never had and issue with any grip coming loose on either of my shadows.