Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ticks

GTOSHootr

It seems like my property is infested with ticks this year worse than ever. It sucks, everytime I feel crappy I have to think about whether its Lyme Disease or not.

I was playing with my dog this moring and I just found one crawling up my neck. I look like a crack head because all day I'll have that feeling as of something is crawling on me. I feel the slightest tickle and I'm tearing off my shirt to chase down a phantom tick.

I never thought I say this but I rather have to deal with snakes or big spiders. At least you can see them and you know when you've been bit.

Just got back from a wonderful trip to the Benton, AR area. Lovely place but until I learned to tuck the pants into the socks and spray my pant legs with OFF I was a tick buffet. First night I had to pull 3 of the little buggers out of me.

I agree that the snakes are easier. My wife wasted a four foot cotton mouth that had taken up residence in the my dad's wood pile. We had seen it go in the day before so Sue stood by as I pulled the pile apart. As I moved the last split rail the snake slithered out and right into a 7/8 oz load of #7 shot.

Saw the biggest damn snapping turtle of my life back there, also. Neat creatures.

Dave

California had gobs of ticks when I was there. Pulled them out of the dog constantly and pulled them out of ourselves now and then if we weren't vigilant. I'll never forget the one I pulled out of my tummy. Ewww!! Gah!!! They virtually leap at you from the bushes and that's where we had to watch for 'em. :o:angry:

Ticks, Chiggers and Mosquitoes big enough to carry a small child around these parts... NW Louisiana. The match locations that I've actually found ticks at include Ozark Sportsmans Center north of Branson, MO, PASA Park @ Barry, IL and The Shootout in Princeton, LA. Stay out from under the trees ;) Especially when it's raining.

An LEO friend of mine lives in the Chcago area. He hates going up to wisconson and the "monkey ticks" as he calls them. So big you can see them swinging out of the trees at you.

My question is, what the heck do they live on when I'm not there, that they can get so big?

"...what the heck do they live on when I'm not there, that they can get so big?"
Obviously they're bin diving at the nearby nuclear plant.

OTOH, you should see the bugs that fall out of some of the trees in Oregon..... Years ago I refused to stay at a KOA campground because something huge (with wings and lots of legs) fell out of a tree (onto our pickup hood) at the entrance to the place. My assessment of the situation at the time? "NO WAYYY!!!!!" We slept in an open field under a full moon. It was gorgeous. And no bugs.

My question is, what the heck do they live on when I'm not there, that they can get so big?

My fiance and I have been seeing so many lately that we are starting to ask questions like that. We actually found one on the dog in March during a short thaw between storms! You guys seem to have big ticks. Ours are tiny. The ones that are known to carry Lyme Disease are supposed to be really small, so small you usually do see or feel them. You just find a discolored ring where you were bit.

Hanging from trees? I didn't know they dropped from trees. My dogs seems to pick them up in tall grass. I walked him by some powerlines the other day and when we came out the other side he had four just on his nose. I pictured some nest that we must have walked through but I really don't know much about them.

Man, just thinking about those horrible things makes me want to run home and take a shower....but I'm growing curious now.

Once a tick has fed, they can live for over 2 years (This is what I recall from 10 years ago, so don't take it to the bank) on the blood they have stored. They can also live for a really long time underwater, which is why it is so much fun to burn them to death. I love to hear the ticks scream, and then POP!