Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I miss the postal match

rowdyb

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 6:04 AM, rowdyb said:

I miss when IDPA had a postal match. I think the last one was my first year of shooting and I always thought it was super cool that we were all shooting the same stages across the US.

Agreed. That was really cool.

So why don't you put one one?

The postal match was NEVER an official implemented-by-IDPA thing.

It started in 2007 (??) by Ken Ortbach (now the AC for Canada), Lenny Jacukowicz, and Walt Jones.
They did it for 2 or 3 years.

Then Ted Murphy and his wife did it for several years.

After the first year or two, IDPA did put a blurb about it on their website.  But it was a done-by-members, grass roots thing. 

So if people miss the postal match, why not put one on?

I nominate Rowdy!  :cheers:

Even wilder was the American Handgunner IPSC (not USPSA) Postal of the 1980s.  At its height, there were 4000 entries from all over.

I set up some of both at the local club and it was fun to see yourself in there with people from all over.

So I've been thinking about this and what it would take to do, even on a small scale. I imagine everyone would want:

• stage design schematics that are very specific, reproducible and appropriate to as many clubs as possible.
  • 2 small, 2 med and 1 large stage
  • determination of which rule book it'd be under
  • transparent process to answer questions and concerns
  • online results
  • free of fees or costs not normally associated with your match
  • a reasonable time frame, to me one month, in which to hold your match

7 hours ago, rowdyb said:

So I've been thinking about this and what it would take to do, even on a small scale. I imagine everyone would want:

• stage design schematics that are very specific, reproducible and appropriate to as many clubs as possible.
  • 2 small, 2 med and 1 large stage
  • determination of which rule book it'd be under
  • transparent process to answer questions and concerns
  • online results
  • free of fees or costs not normally associated with your match
  • a reasonable time frame, to me one month, in which to hold your match

I agree that the concept is very cool and I really appreciate the effort of those that put this on.  I do struggle with how differently things are enforced by SO's across the country and the effect that has on the scores generated.

hahaha, sandyasi that can happen within the same stage, same squad, two shooters. if you want that level of precision in results where there is no human factor involved you're in the wrong place. million ways people could cheat or mess this up. i would only care about what i can control.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was this something that the local MD had to run these exact stages so you could send your scores in? Or was it done as a side match after the main match. I think it sounds like a fun thing to do, just wondering how it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Smallbore said:

Was this something that the local MD had to run these exact stages so you could send your scores in? Or was it done as a side match after the main match. I think it sounds like a fun thing to do, just wondering how it was done.

It didn't matter.

Some clubs did as Jim describes.

Ours shot a 6-stage match, but measured and set up 4 of the stages to be the ones according to the Postal Match diagram.  Then just uploaded the scores for those 4 stages.