Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3n37 vs 3n38 vs WAC for 9mm major

taco2000

I have done some homework researching this forum, but can't find a clear answer.

I am debating between 3n37,3n38 and autocomp for my 9mm major load.

3n38 might be too full for the 9mm case, coz I will be using mark 7 autodrive for reloading, i am worrying about the powder spillage.

3n37 vs auto comp, since I see some people in this forum saying WAC produce more gas for the compensator, but felt more snappier.  

btw, i am using CK arms thunder open gun.  I am using 124gr MG JHP

Thanks in advance.

Just bought a 9 major open gun myself (SV with 2 ports) and have tried a little testing with 3n38 and zero 121 jhp. Loaded at about 1.175 I loaded 9.2 gr and got about 1350 fps and then tried 9.5 and got about 1390. Next I'm gonna try 9.8 and stop there. Not a lot of room left after that. I load on a 550 and don't spill at all. I honestly thought I'd hit major at a lower charge. Dot wasn't that flat either. So I'm hoping the charge increase helps it. So that should give you an idea. 

Edited by user293

52 minutes ago, user293 said:

Just bought a 9 major open gun myself (SV with 2 ports) and have tried a little testing with 3n38 and zero 121 jhp. Loaded at about 1.175 I loaded 9.2 gr and got about 1350 fps and then tried 9.5 and got about 1390. Next I'm gonna try 9.8 and stop there. Not a lot of room left after that. I load on a 550 and don't spill at all. I honestly thought I'd hit major at a lower charge. Dot wasn't that flat either. So I'm hoping the charge increase helps it. So that should give you an idea. 

That's a smidge strange. But popples make a big difference. I'm around 170 pf with a 9.5 gr charge and 115 gr HAPs

Hello: Forget 3n37, it burns very hot and is harsh on the hand. 3n38 will be a very full case and be spilling on your shell plate with the auto drive. Auto Comp will work very well and will take about 6.7 grains with the 124 grain bullets loaded to 1.170" OAL. HS-6 would be the other choice and is what I use as well as Auto Comp with 115's. Thanks, Eric

Yea the holes in the barrel are large. So that's probably part of the reason. And I'm using .356 zero 121gr so that may also be causing the slower speeds. But your using .356 HAP too so maybe they are a little faster than zero. I dunno. I think hs-6 and auto comp are what your looking for. Me too maybe if the dot doesn't settle down at the higher power factor with 3n38. 

Edited by user293

12 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Forget 3n37, it burns  hot and is harsh. 3n38 will be a very full case and spill on your shell plate. Auto Comp will work very well and will take about 6.7 grains with the 124 grain bullets loaded to 1.170" OAL. HS-6 would be the other choice

^^^   Have to agree, with Aircooled, again.    ^^^^    I use WAC because it doesn't spill - but HS6 is also very good ...  :)