Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How did this happen?

Lukedrywalker

Ok here is the break down, that shooter won 5 of the 6 stages he won 670 of the 800 total points. You on the other hand got 469.4733 of the 800 points. The 25 mikes came on a 130 point stage that he zero'd. Have to remember uspsa score is on a per stage not total time. ...One of the things I like is a points based scoring system vs total time scoring. Because he shot very well on 5 stages and it looks like his gun went down on 1. It sucks to shoot a great match and have a major gun problem on one stage cost you the whole match. I shoot IDPA also and have that happen, fired one shot on the last stage and broke a barrel link and cost me a ton of FTE's which killed my total time. 

Edited by MarkS_A18138

check your gun, your load, your springs ...

your holster and mag holders ...

your grip and stance ...

your preparation before you shoot the COF ....

YOU know where you're losing time, but we don't ...

How's your draw?   time to 2nd shot?   reloads?   

How long does it take for you to get from "box A" to "box B"?

Are you shooting Production and the other guy shooting OPEN?

How are your transitions?

You have to break it down for yourself - see where you're losing time.

Easiest to work on is draw and reloads ...

1 hour ago, Lukedrywalker said:

Could someone please explain how a guy could have 25 mikes and still score higher than me? Please look at this Practiscore link and break it down for me, I shot better than both these guys. 

https://practiscore.com/results/new/28650?q_division=1&q_result=0

You didn't shoot better, you shot slower. The guy with 25 mikes obviously had a dead gun and the stage was scored as shot. If he would have re-shot the stage, it would have been similar results to the other 5, and he would have won all stages. It's points earned minus penalties divided by time. You want to do better, meaning faster, take shooting lessons from the Master who beat you. In D Class there is tons of room for improvement.

1 hour ago, Lukedrywalker said:

... I move good for a 55 year old so what's my best bet for improving my time? 

I don't know you. But I've known lots of other guys who said that and I'm extrapolating from those experiences:

What you feel to be sprinting and hustling between A and B is more than likely a casual stroll to the next array. He likely transitions his gun from target to target three times more quickly than you, too.

Get someone to film you shoot a few stages. Film the fastest guy in your squad who shoots the same division. If you shoot the stage very similarly, even better.

Then sit down at home, watch them, and be honest/critical about what you see.

(What follows isn't quite 100% accurate as far as breaking down hit factors, but is close enough to get the point across simply)

He shot the match in half the time you did. In a sport that is basically scored in a points per second fashion, you would have to have shot twice as perfectly as he did in order to win, which is utterly impossible. He'd need to miss on nearly every target.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

14 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I don't know you. But I've known lots of other guys who said that and I'm extrapolating from those experiences:

What you feel to be sprinting and hustling between A and B is more than likely a casual stroll to the next array. He likely transitions his gun from target to target three times more quickly than you, too.

Get someone to film you shoot a few stages. Film the fastest guy in your squad who shoots the same division. If you shoot the stage very similarly, even better.

Then sit down at home, watch them, and be honest/critical about what you see.

(What follows isn't quite 100% accurate as far as breaking down hit factors, but is close enough to get the point across simply)

He shot the match in half the time you did. In a sport that is basically scored in a points per second fashion, you would have to have shot twice as perfectly as he did in order to win, which is utterly impossible. He'd need to miss on nearly every target.

I will try to do that

Yes, indeed.  A Senior now, Super Senior soon.

Running aside (also crouching, kneeling, and getting up from any position closer to the ground than standing :P), there's much we can do to speed things up.  Splits (within reason), transitions, having a good stage plan that plays to your particular strengths, movement directly to the next position, knowing exactly where to plant your feet, and knowing how fast to get on each target (distance, size, no-shoots, etc.) are some of the things that cut time.  They're all skills that can be practiced separately and are strung together to create a stage.

And finally, shoot your own game, whatever makes it fun for you.  Slower, faster, more accurate and less fast, whatever makes your own day.  And safely, of course.  This is ultimately supposed to be fun, after all!

Edited by teros135

It's all about HF.  

HF = Points/Time.  

His points are worse but his time is only half of yours.  

You took a total of 190.32 seconds in the whole match, while he used only 100.73. 

Actually it is simpler that that in this case.

The guy got all those 25 mikes all on the same 130 point stage. So, he zeroed the stage. Effectively it is the same as 9..13 mikes on that stage.

After that he won all other stages. It was enough to gain 130 points lost on stage 2

35 minutes ago, mccurdy53 said:

I'm 63 and it feels like I'm running, but I've seen the video, I'm just walking fast.  It's old age and it's catching up to all of us, some faster than others.

If I'd had known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

18 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

If I'd had known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Me to,,also,,include me..

shot a match yesterday I thought I did pretty good ,until one of thr other guys said something like ..

you should have Run between the two targets..

When you get to 70 years old, I find I don't care what others say about they way I shoot.  I'm there enjoying the fun, social interaction, and lunch after the match.  Now and then even show the "kids" how it is done.  :lol:

At first find the places you can knock whole seconds off. Then find the places you can knock tenths off. Then the agony begins when you start trying to knock hundredths of a second off things.

When you can wrap your mind around the sage advice of striving to do things sooner, rather than quicker you'll be on the way.

Sitting talking with a group of well known GMs in the sport they were joking about how often they get asked by someone they're shooting with in a squad at a match , "hey, please tell me what i need to do better?" and they all to a person laughed and said, "EVERYTHING dude, you gotta do it all better!" would be the reply they'd most often like to give.

You're also now learning how to better self analyze performance from match results/video/your memory of what happened. Two of those three are objective btw....

Short version: Because you aren't scored on a match basis.  You are scored on a stage basis.  Which then rolls up to the match.  

Better version: You should do the math yourself.  Go stage by stage.  Calculate HF's.  Then calculate match points.  Everything will make sense to you after you do that.