Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primer purchase

hcore44

Im in the market to stock up on primers again.  I shoot mostly 9mm minor but have started shooting major as well.  I have been searching past posts and think I am now more confused.  1st, it seems like the majority of people prefer federals but I can find no federals in stock.  What would a good bulk purchase (bulk to me is 10,000 which is probably small to some of you) with what is available right now.

I shoot mostly in glocks and and HK vp9.  I have not had any issues setting off primers of any type in the past.  Any thoughts or leads would be appreciated.

I use exclusively CCI in my production guns with lightened trigger pulls and never had a problem.  They are rumored to be very hard.  I would look for Winchester or CCI and call it good.  Suggest go to your local gun store and buy 100 of each and try them.  Bet they both go bang.

Federal primers seem to be the preferred primer for revolver shooters with severely reduced pulls.

Everybody will have an opinion.  Buy a hundred of each, load 10 or 20 of each and if they light off, get whatever is available.  Maybe a local shooting buddy would give you a few to try.  I have in the past when this conversation comes up.

Molson

I have stumbled onto several thousand FGMM SPP's at cabelas lately.  Not a lot but the last 4 times going I have come up with 7000 of them.  I normally run CCI and they are everywhere but I prefer fed.   When I order online I order no less than 10k to make the hazmat work out.  

Winchester and CCI primers work well in guns without really light strikers and springs. Federals are always far more easy to ignite than  the rest.

CCI is my personal favorite from a cost/availability standpoint along with how well they run through a vibraprime and a 650.

Check with the big online suppliers like Graf's, Powder Valley, and even places like Cabelas.

Yes. You do.

Three years into loading for USPSA matches, you stop being an OCD reloader and just work out a combination that is accurate and makes PF ... then buy 10-20k of those components.

Even if you find a combination that shoots 10% softer than your current ammo, you won't notice it on the timer at a match. Certainly won't see it in your score.

Guys just like to tinker. Especially those drawn to shooting and loading.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

crap.  I wanted too long on the cci from midway because I was checking for black Friday deals.  Now the no hazmat special is over.  Anyone know of any primer specials happening or just a decent deal on 5000-10000 small pistol primers of any kind?  Thanks