Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV Mags

Chevy

I am getting a new custom open 9mm gun and the builder is suggesting I look at purchasing some SV mags with grams springs and followers to complete my set up. I know they are more expensive than sti mags but are they really worth the extra money ? Anybody have experience with SV mags?

STI mags don't have the capacity of the other mags unless you modify the internals. I've been using MBX mags and like them a lot. I still have one STI mag but I only use it when I don't need the full capacity of the MBX (21 rounds vs 23 rounds) I also prefer the STI on indoor matches where I have to drop the mags on concrete. The rubber baseplate absorbs the shock, the MBX mags just get dented on the edges of the aluminum baseplate. Can't help you on the SV mags, I believe the capacity is similar to the MBX when they're set up like you describe. I do know that most of the Open shooters I see have switched over to MBX (which is probably why I switched)

Edited by Bkreutz

My open gun is 9 major as well. I used to run STI mags. I could never get them to run 100% in my gun. I gave up trying and switched to MBX and they have been flawless since day one. Price wise they are in the same neighborhood as SVI mags but both have a similar design.

I've been shooting them in my limited gun for years with absolutely not one problem..I have a couple for my open gun,no problem with 9 major no spacer..I run one Mbx 170 with no problem,,But I also have some Sti 140 mags that I run in both guns.

So maybe a ford,,Chevy thing..

Started off with 9 Major and STI mags.  Didn't like having to use a spacer.  Switched to SVI mags.  Can run either 9 Major or 38SC with no feed lip adjustment and no spacer.  I use Wolff springs and Arredondo teflon followers.  Might lose 1 round capacity because of the thick follower (23 and 28 reloadable), but feeding has been flawless.

Hello: The SVI mags will last you a life time or two. I also use STI mags as well. With both mags I am using the TTI follower/spring setup with Dawson base pads. I am testing the STI 170mm mags right now for 9mm using the TTI internals with no spacer. So far 100% reliable and they hold a reloadable 29 rounds. I will do some more testing next week. As they say buy once cry once. MBX mags around here have been hit or miss, about 60% miss and 40% hit. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The SVI mags are made from thicker material but the STI are built stronger with the side ribs. The spacer is no big deal. Don't glue them in and use metal spacers and they will run 100%. Now you have to decide on all 170mm or 170 and 140 mag setups. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I have 4 OLD sv mags I just bought & 4 sti mags.  Using mag tuning kit was very eye opening.  It took quite a bit harder blow from the hammer to adjust sv feed lips.  I liken that to the metal being harder aka more durable.  I dont know if new sv mags are that hard.  

13 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: The SVI mags are made from thicker material but the STI are built stronger with the side ribs. The spacer is no big deal. Don't glue them in and use metal spacers and they will run 100%. Now you have to decide on all 170mm or 170 and 140 mag setups. Thanks, Eric

I am thinking on getting all 140 mags for now and might pick up a 170 later and to try out.

27 minutes ago, Chevy said:

I am thinking on getting all 140 mags for now and might pick up a 170 later and to try out.

Open just isn't the same without a big stick haha. I'd advise picking up a 170 from the start. You can shoot a lot of courses with no reload (and a safety margin for makeups) if you have a reliable 170 that holds 28-30.

1 hour ago, js1130146 said:

Open just isn't the same without a big stick haha. I'd advise picking up a 170 from the start. You can shoot a lot of courses with no reload (and a safety margin for makeups) if you have a reliable 170 that holds 28-30.

Yes that would be great but I live in British Columbia and we are restricted to 10 rnd mags and we do three and sometimes four mag changes in a stage , a good challenge to figure out, when to change mags during the stage and if you have a make up to do well you get the picture ! a lot of fun I must say , what a great sport!!!! ..I wish we could do a stage with out having to do a mag changes .. 170 would be great you guys are lucky....

1 minute ago, Chevy said:

Yes that would be great but I live in British Columbia and we are restricted to 10 rnd mags and we do three and sometimes four mag changes in a stage , a good challenge to figure out, when to change mags during the stage and if you have a make up to do well you get the picture ! a lot of fun I must say , what a great sport!!!! ..I wish we could do a stage with out having to do a mag changes .. 170 would be great you guys are lucky....

Aha, it all makes sense now... But believe me I know all about the mag changes. I primarily shoot single stack major. Figuring out where and when to change mags is half of the fun. I just shoot open on my lazy days. Few reloads and I don't bother to scrounge up my brass. It's a refreshing change of pace.

28 minutes ago, Chevy said:

You should make the trip down to Custer WA (just south of Blaine), they have a USPSA match the first Sunday of the month (all year long normally) there are quite a few shooters who make it down from BC to shoot there. You might ask around at your matches and find out who they are and they can give you specifics about paperwork (I know it can be done, just not sure how). Most of the long stages are 32 rounds (just to make us Open shooters reload at least once). I like the range so much that I make the drive up from Seattle which is about 100 miles. I don't know how the BC shooters end up with big mags if they're illegal in Canada, maybe they leave them with American friends for their trips across the border. If you're shooting a 2011 you could probably borrow some mags to see if you like the concept.

36 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

You should make the trip down to Custer WA (just south of Blaine), they have a USPSA match the first Sunday of the month (all year long normally) there are quite a few shooters who make it down from BC to shoot there. You might ask around at your matches and find out who they are and they can give you specifics about paperwork (I know it can be done, just not sure how). Most of the long stages are 32 rounds (just to make us Open shooters reload at least once). I like the range so much that I make the drive up from Seattle which is about 100 miles. I don't know how the BC shooters end up with big mags if they're illegal in Canada, maybe they leave them with American friends for their trips across the border. If you're shooting a 2011 you could probably borrow some mags to see if you like the concept.

Sounds like fun thanks for the info I will check it out for next year , paper work is posible as I do know there are a lot of shooters that head down that way with no problems .. Thanks