Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 MAGPUL WYOMING GOVERNOR'S MATCH

For 300 dollars I got to listen to you governor and sit in an MRAP.. Side matches that were cancelled? Machine gun rentals at 70.00/mag or whatever outrageous price. For the cost of this match I could have bought enough energy drinks to last a lifetime. Police cruiser... ya got me there. I guess my only complaint there would be that I didn't get tp play with the lights. As far as the governor is concerned. Great, good on you folks for electing such a fine individual. But unless it is Chris Ledoux's kid and he is there to sing, I'm not interested in spending that kind of money. A 2 gun match with 8 stages. Yep, and 3 days to shoot 8 stages that had little if any planning put ino them. These were 30-70 second stages. That was A LOT of sitting around. Considering that we had to stand there for an hr. And look at our next stage with nobody on it. In short, this match was billed as a MAJOR match. No one will argue that the governor spoke.no one will argue that there were free energy drinks so on and so forth. But the planning and stage design and overall execution of this match by the directors was a failure. When one of the hottest shooters in the world has to go to the match director and demand a different RO because the RO freaked out on them, there is a problem.  For all the money they collected on this match and what little we got out of it as far as quality shooting, I would say this was a major Con game.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went to open up a certain website to look at the results and try to deduce who the 'hottest shooter in the world' was, and then your followup post stopped me in my tracks. Ah well.

6 hours ago, ericm said:

Wow, "owtlaw", your local matches must be off the hook!!! Please post video!!!

Especially looking forward to seeing:

1. A two gun match with 8 stages completely supported by your state government.

2. match props to include MRAPS (2) hosted by the local PD and a State Police cruiser.

3. Food vendor on site for the duration of the match.

4. Free energy drinks from a major manufacturer.

5. Vendor displays.

6. Side matches with prizes including one run by your state's Fish and Game bureau.

7. Machine Gun rentals from a major Class III retailer in the area.

8. A speech by the actual Governor of your state expressing how much sport shooting is revered in your state.

9. A prize table exceeding $100K of products by major manufacturers.

Lookin' forward to those videos, "owtlaw".

ericm (major a hole RO who almost certainly will win the Academy Award for major a hole RO)

Eric,

There is really no good defense for this match.  The title sponsor is unhappy, the governors office is unhappy, and the majority of the shooters were unhappy.  

You may not agree with the tone of "owtlaw" s post but not a single one of his statements is false.  

Calling those who were dissatisfied out and pointing fingers will only cause more negative attention to be directed at CD and I can only imagine they would like this to die as quickly as possible. 

Weren't they fairly clear right up front that it was 8 stages in 3 days? The way I read it they were, so perhaps with that knowledge up front it is now a bit tawdry to gripe about that aspect now. I think if you had too many free energy drinks, anything would seem slow. :blink: 

Perhaps the world's hottest 3- Gunner should have enough experience not to start walking on to a stage that is actively being shot. A sense of "being entitled" does not stop a 5.56x 45mm bullet. When you have lots of "names" all over your shirt perhaps you shouldn't start cussing out the R.O. who just stopped you from being ballistic test media, it reflects badly on the "names" and the sport. Besides if Smoke Showing was there we KNOW who the hottest 3-gunner was!!!:wub:

As for the rest, carry on! Probably all very valid.....oh, one more thing...what's an app? :D

37 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Perhaps the world's hottest 3- Gunner should have enough experience not to start walking on to a stage that is actively being shot. A sense of "being entitled" does not stop a 5.56x 45mm bullet.

Kurt, were you at this match? I didn't see you there...were are you getting this from?

If you want to tell someone else's lies, that's on you. If your brother feels that he needs to lie to justify why he screams at people, well, that is up to him. Other people were there with eyes.  Facts can't be invented. 

Perceptions aren't facts. No I wasn't at this match, and I haven't even talked to my brother yet, I have chatted with a couple of people in the squad that was shooting in front of the squad you must have been on, you know amigos and such, and their perception was a bit different than yours. I'm not saying your wrong or right, but there are usually several view points. To just come right out and accuse someone of malphesance, based on point of view, is a bit short sighted. I was offering up a different point of view, rather than just the rather dramatic one you posted. Did you take a lot of those free energy drinks home? You seem real edgy today.

B.T.W. I am not lying, Craig IS the hottest 3-gunner!

Rumor is that Craig O. may have taken a network hacking course specifically to target PS.  Craig O. denied that rumor by laughing it off when confronted about it.  I think it is now safe to say that rumor is false.  So the hottest 3Gunner is not a hacker. :)

Maybe best insulated???

Disclaimer

Oh man I can hear underwear bunching and scrunching from here......it is a joke folks!!!! It is not directed at anyone. Hot, insulated....etc. Have we forgotten to laugh in this sport as well???

Wow. Another nomination.

I am so humbled.

World's greatest liar AND major a hole RO.....

The accolades just keep coming....

I want to thank the Academy for the nominations....

....and, of course, I want to thank all of the little people.....

ericm

Wow, I liked the match.  Did it have growing pains?  Sure.  I think the half day format would have been much better or the match could have been shot in 2 days.  Some of the new ROs were clearly new which led to some inconsistencies in how stages were managed - but that is so often the case in non-USPSA managed 3 gun matches.  I witnessed some shooter/RO drama and I'll just say that the ROs weren't in the wrong but they were often dealing with newer shooters who were inexperienced and getting conflicting info.

But I liked the stages - which were a bit old fashioned SOF style.  They were well designed for quick reset and required accurate shooting.  To be fair they did not allow for much imagination in terms of stage strategy and they weren't the apocalypse on Earth/ Welcome to Omaha beach stages requiring the shooter to engage easy targets non-stop for 2-3 minutes like are so popular today.  BUT I don't think such high volume stages would have been good for the crowd of newer shooters that were present - many of whom were maxed out as it was.  And I liked the scoring system better than standard IMGA scoring (although I think Andy Horner's scoring system is still the best).  The Gov 100 Side matches run by Wy Game and Fish were fun and challenging.   Those are great general courses of fire. The match had a solid prize table. And it was great to see a Governor come out so strongly in support of the shooting sports.  

Room for improvement? Sure.  Great time? Absolutely.

Edited by kellyn

Well said Kelly!

One rule would have fixed many of the "stage" problems...If a competitor skips targets or tasks intentionally and fires their last shot within the 180 second time limit, their time will be 180 plus all applicable penalties.

The ROs were a great group of folks, but I RO'd most of them for their first match of this style on Thursday and then they got clocks and stage briefs on Friday.  Not their fault.

I too liked the stages (especially the way they were supposed to be shot).  I think a lot of non-USPSA/3Gun folks have no idea that gaming is part of the game, and in this match, there was some unfortunate collision of inexperienced ROs, and stage designs ripe to be gamed.  SOFy, with a USPSA 5 minute walk through. :)

A succinct and polite email to the MD is usually the best way to help a match or organization do better in the future.

15 minutes ago, maverik said:

So there was a minimum score that everyone received for each stage? How does that work?

I'm not sure how they handled unfinished stages. They (CD) said no FTE penalties and there was only a 10 second miss penalty on long range steel so I can see how that could be exploited. 

180 was the max stage time. Penalties added time and  match points weren't used for overall finish. 

if there was no penalty for FTE, why not shoot 1 round and stop?  

Guess I am not clear on the scoring system works?  

I also don't see why owtlaw is taking some flak here....he laid out what he saw as problems, but it seems like what he said was taken as a personal attack.

I wasn't at the match, so all i know is what i have read.

Yep, calling a person a liar isn't a personal attack, it is a fair assessment of how a match is run and administered. Constructive interactions like that are always welcome and build a great relationship among shooters and match personnel, let alone the strong personal bonds that last a life time.

50 minutes ago, atomicferret said:

if there was no penalty for FTE, why not shoot 1 round and stop?  

Guess I am not clear on the scoring system works?  

I also don't see why owtlaw is taking some flak here....he laid out what he saw as problems, but it seems like what he said was taken as a personal attack.

I wasn't at the match, so all i know is what i have read.

Miss penalties still applied. I didn't see anyone exploiting it massively but the opportunity was there. The rules left a few holes that trucks could drive through. TacOps rifles had Open+ rules. Shooters were bringing tripods, backpacks, and more for the long range stage. For example:

One way or another I suspect the rules next year will be more mainstream... 

41 minutes ago, kurtm said:

Yep, calling a person a liar isn't a personal attack, it is a fair assessment of how a match is run and administered. Constructive interactions like that are always welcome and build a great relationship among shooters and match personnel, let alone the strong personal bonds that last a life time.

i was referring to his first post... not what came after.