Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuning for "auto forward" slide lock reloads

MemphisMechanic

How exactly are you going to call something that isn't visible in any fashion (without field-stripping) an external modification?

Its also the same thing that would happen if you were to manually drop the slide about eleven thousand times. Somewhat difficult to call it a modification. Maybe it happened that way.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 11/21/2016 at 11:46 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

I had a stage which was the perfect test this weekend. 

A 32 round stage a couple months back worked out really fun as 10 - 11 - barney up on the long run - 11. 

Back on subject, my cz 75's auto forward reliably with 147 tc loaded to 1.15, when I switch to 125 round nose (I forget the oal) they are very hit and miss. 

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
17 hours ago, kyky said:

Thanks for the pictures Memphis.

17 hours ago, lfine said:

Awesome stuff, Memphis, once again. And thanks for the f=ma.  That brought me back.

15 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Well Memphis. As usual, your suggestion worked perfectly. I rounded off those edges you highlighted and it is hitting the auto forward 100% of the time now. Did about 30 in a row in dryfire. Thanks again!

Glad it helped!

But in fairness all I did was search the forum really really well! All the info on stuff like this is here... just gotta figure out how to find it. If you want to thank someone? This idea came from @kneelingatlas, just like so many other great Tanfo/CZ posts have.

Also, on my gun I had this neat feature wherein the slide wouldn’t fully drop until I released my hand from applying upward  pressure to the basepad: the slide would just barely catch the back of the mag tube, and hold there until your offhand rebounded.

This is helpful because it prevents that wonderful issue that can happen with auto-forwarding guns that have weak magazine springs: The slide drops when you drive a magazine home but magically does not chamber a round.

That happens because the rounds bounce downward inside the tube if your slam it in really hard with a weak magazine spring, and the top round isn’t stripped because it hasn’t bounced back to the top of the magazine before the slide runs forward.

Stronger mag springs solve this issue in most guns. In my Tanfo, that 1/16th second of delay should also mean it never happens.

• 2 months later...
On 11/17/2016 at 12:09 AM, Polymer said:

Am i missing something....you never shoot to complete empty/slide lock in uspsa, why is this feature sought after?

+1 sort of wondering about that myself. It kind of seems unsafe.

Edited by usmc1974

16 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

+1 sort of wondering about that myself. It kind of seems unsafe.

If you’re unwilling to fire that last round in your magazine, there will be the occasional stage plan that leaves a few second on the table.

And sometimes... you miss steel once, and then need a makeup on paper when planning to shoot 9.

How on earth would you consider this unsafe? You load a mag and run the slide forward when you do this manually. It just saves you from needing the lever. You can prevent it by inteserting a magazine slowly. The gun self-loads exactly this way every single time you pull the trigger, and that has nevee bothered you, has it?

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you’re unwilling to fire that last round in your magazine, there will be the occasional stage plan that leaves a few second on the table.

And sometimes... you miss steel once, and then need a makeup on paper when planning to shoot 9.

How on earth would you consider this unsafe? You load a mag and run the slide forward when you do this manually. It just saves you from needing the lever. You can prevent it by inteserting a magazine slowly. The gun self-loads exactly this way every single time you pull the trigger, and that has nevee bothered you, has it?

The last round is not in the mag, it is in the pipe. Just asking but when the gun starts letting the slide go on it's own,  it is possible the firing pin could let go on it's too.  I know a shooter that would cover the breach and catch the cleared round on " unload and show clear " till one went off it messed up his hand.. Safty first. Just a thought.

12 minutes ago, usmc1974 said:

The last round is not in the mag, it is in the pipe.

I’m simply talking about firing 11 shots before you move, versus 10. Sometimes that’s what you need to do in Production.

Just asking but when the gun starts letting the slide go on it's own,  it is possible the firing pin could let go on it's too.  I know a shooter that would cover the breach and catch the cleared round on " unload and show clear " till one went off it messed up his hand.. Safty first. Just a thought.

Entirely different actions; a gun will rarely but sometimes go off whikelle unloading because you sent a live primer back into the ejector. It almost always happens in a .40... and usually in a 19/2011 pattern gun. Those are the guns that place the ejector closest to the primer.

Chambering a round goes the entirely oppsite direction, and if a defective gun goes off, it was about to go off when you ran the slide forward manually. In either case the risk isn’t to the shooter, it’s the round going over the berm. Your hands are nowhere near the chamber.

As I’ve never seen or heard of this happening, I think you’re conjuring a hypothetical at this point. Unless you know differently?

1 hour ago, usmc1974 said:

Just asking but when the gun starts letting the slide go on it's own,  it is possible the firing pin could let go on it's too.  

Uh.... no. 

Tuning the slide stop to go forward with inertia has ZERO impact on the sear, hammer, hammer safety.

10 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Uh.... no. 

Tuning the slide stop to go forward with inertia has ZERO impact on the sear, hammer, hammer safety.

Sure it does, John. That’s why your Stock II burns one into the dirt each time you use the slide stop. ?

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Sure it does, John. That’s why your Stock II burns one into the dirt each time you use the slide stop. ?

Ohhhhhhh,

I thought i was just pressing the  "auto-dq" button.

Awesome, I'm going to do this very soon. My Sig X5 was easy to hit slide stop, but my Stock 2 is a bit farther to reach. I've planned to go to slide lock a couple times, especially on an unloaded start when you cannot have the 11th round in your first mag in production. This is not unsafe nor is a stage plan going to slide lock, if it's the best stage plan. Jacob Heatherington had an awesome stage recently shooting 11, reloading to get one in chamber and reloading again, so he could shoot 11 at next position on a 22 round stage. That was obviously ballsy and he's a great shooter, but it goes to show it can be the best plan as long as you know your own skill level and limitations