Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring

DOODS

There's actually a lot more that goes into this question than just how often folks change their springs out. For instance since we're just talking about the recoil spring in this thread power factor plays a major component as it it determines how far/fast the spring is compressed to its yield point. As with anything; springs will fatigue and fail overtime. Its been my personal experience to change out all the springs in my guns every 5,000-7,000 rounds. 

One physical phenomenon with metals is that at stress below the yield strength of the material, a very slow plastic deformation takes place. In the spring world this is called "creep" when a spring under constant load loose length. Its called relaxation when a spring under constant compression lose load. How much creep/relaxation really depends on the temperature, the stress in the metal, the metals yield strength and the time. Increased temperature, stress and time also increase the creep/relaxation. Especially the temperature and stress have a big influence on your springs overall lifespan. Some folks shoot so much there guns heat up pretty good and since metal conducts heat you can bet there springs have increased in temperature as well.

In the end springs are cheap and should be part of your routine maintenance of your firearm, especially if your gun goes down at a major match due to a failed spring due to its life being exceeded. We have some of our first hammer springs that have over 25K cycles on them, and although they haven't failed i can say there about 3 full coils shorter than a new out of the bag spring. These springs are obviously not providing there advertised spring rate anymore at this condition. 

So here is an interesting thing I noticed in my guns.

One of my Tanfo's which received approximately 20k rounds last year, I never changed the recoil spring. It may have been as many as 30k. While I liked how little it recoiled, it actually started to cause my lock up near the top of my barrel to get sheared and ruined. 

From now on I will be replacing my recoil spring ever 10k rounds. There doesn't seem to be a point not to with it being as cheap as it is. 

Then again this is the first year I have actually ever recorded how many rounds I have shot. 

55 minutes ago, WJM said:

One of my Tanfo's which received approximately 20k rounds last year, I never changed the recoil spring. It may have been as many as 30k. While I liked how little it recoiled, it actually started to cause my lock up near the top of my barrel to get sheared and ruined. 

Bullet weight, power factor, and spring weight please?

Would be helpful for the rest of us to know more about what pounded your locking lugs into submission.

he shoots 147s, 130-135pf, and 9-10lb recoil springs iirc.

Honestly, it was shooting a LOT, and not checking springs regularly iirc. His springs looked pretty gnarly by the time we looked at them, like 3/4 to 1/2 the length of a brand new spring.

That awkward moment when I don't know the person who knows my PF, bullet weight use, or recoil spring..

?

Edit- THATS YEE YEE! Love ya bro!

Edited by WJM
YeeYee