Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

n350 for 9mm major

taco2000

I am debating to use n350 or HS6 for my 9mm major load, i leaning towards to n350 because of its cleaner and softer recoil , if i am right.

my question is that is n350 capable of loading at 1.15 oal or less with 124gr MG JHP bullet due to it's cylindrical shape?

note, this is for my CK arms open gun with a KKM barrel, 1.16 will fail the plunk test.

4 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

If you're spending VV money, skip the N350 and order 3N38, it's arguably the best powder available for 9 Major.

I've loaded Major rounds as short as 1.1".  Is there a reason you're loading 124s instead of 115s?

I thought 3N38 is for 38 SC, is the 9mm case volume capable of holding all 3n38 powder with 124gr bullet?

I use 124 mg jhp because I still have couple thousand, but i am open to 3n38 load with different bullet, Can I have your data for 3n38? Thanks

1 hour ago, kneelingatlas said:

You can absolutely load 9 major with 3N38 under a 124 MG JHP at 1.150"  Should be somewhere between 7.8-8.3gr to make ~170pf.

Thanks a lot Kneelingatlas,

I will definitely try 3n38 in 9 major.

With 115 grain HAPs I was loading 9.5 grains 3n38 at 1.175 for about 170 pf. Slightly compressed load and I'm not sure I'd want to try and get any more in the case, but it sure shot nice. I've since switched to HS6 to make the loading process a little smoother and quicker with less spillage. Plus it's a smidge cheaper per round.

On 11/14/2016 at 2:31 PM, kneelingatlas said:

You can absolutely load 9 major with 3N38 under a 124 MG JHP at 1.150"  Should be somewhere between 7.8-8.3gr to make ~170pf.

What kind of barrel and comp do uou have?

That charge weight and PF was my guess for his STI, but I have many guns, some slower, some faster.  Last weekend I shot my Czechmate which has a 5.1" barrel with a four port steel comp and no holes in the barrel.  I also have a 2011 with a 5.4" Schumann barrel, the Binary Engineering comp and two 3/16" holes.  I've done some slow motion video of my different setups: 

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2016 at 2:31 PM, kneelingatlas said:

What is the max amount of 3N38 that you were able to get in a 9mm case?

7 minutes ago, BiggMike said:

What is the max amount of 3N38 that you were able to get in a 9mm case?

I was loading 9.5 grains under a 115 at 1.185. Gotta run the press real slow or you'll have spillage and it's a compressed load. You can physically fit more in there, but I don't think I'd want to try much more