Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What followers for STI DVC Open mags?

TeedOff

New open shooter, trying to get a few extra mags set up.  

I've tried Taran Tactical and Grams followers, but when I load the 23rd (in a 140mm tube) or the 27th (in a 170mm tube) the bottom round slips off the follower and jams up the follower and spring.  Of course all the rounds except the jammed one fall out.  It seems like I ought to be able to get at least 24 adn 27 or 28 in the mags, given how easily the last one goes in.  I've not encountered this problem with either my Limited or 3 gun guns (both STI Edges).  I'm using Taran Tactical 7g (on the 140) and 2g (on the 170).

Advice?  Should I be happy with 22 and 26?

It sounds like your magazine feed lips are out of spec. I am using Grams springs/follower kits and I get 23 and 29 rounds in my magazines. 

You should be getting at least 23 (140mm) and 29 (170mm) rounds in your magazines. Get your mags tuned or tune them yourself. Dawson Precision sells a magazine tuning kit with all the tools and a DVD instructional video to show you how to do. It is worth every penny in my book. 

Hello: Right now I am testing some STI 170mm mags with Dawson "SNL" base pads and some TTI springs and followers for 9mm major. I am not using a spacer and I am using his 38/40 followers. Seems to be working great with a reloadable 29 rounds. For 9mm and the 140mm mags I always use a spacer in STI mags. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, JMike said:

It sounds like your magazine feed lips are out of spec. I am using Grams springs/follower kits and I get 23 and 29 rounds in my magazines. 

You should be getting at least 23 (140mm) and 29 (170mm) rounds in your magazines. Get your mags tuned or tune them yourself. Dawson Precision sells a magazine tuning kit with all the tools and a DVD instructional video to show you how to do. It is worth every penny in my book. 

Yep that is what I am expecting for capacities.  The problem is not the feed lips, but at the bottom of the mag where the ribs on the side stop...the bottom round slips off the follower and jams up against the side of the tube and the follower causing a nifty salt shaker effect.  This is apparently a common issue with STI tubes as I am learning.  Never had this with my limited or 9mm 3 gun pistol, but I wasn't pushing the capacity this hard either.  Open is a learning adventure for sure. :)

I haven't experienced any of these issues. I'm running 5 STI 140mm 40SW mags, 4 STI 38 Super 140mm and one STI 170 mm in 38 Super. Tuned them all with the Dawson kit.

I hope you get it worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/12/2016 at 5:39 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Right now I am testing some STI 170mm mags with Dawson "SNL" base pads and some TTI springs and followers for 9mm major. I am not using a spacer and I am using his 38/40 followers. Seems to be working great with a reloadable 29 rounds. For 9mm and the 140mm mags I always use a spacer in STI mags. Thanks, Eric

make sure you guage your 170s, if they are too long, you shoot for no score.

SNL, means Some Not Legal.