Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Sight Cleaning

WaJim

First off I'm pretty color blind. I'm currently shooting SS with a .040 light bright green Fiber Optic rod Dawson front sight. Up till the last match I thought I was shooting Yellow....lol.

My STI Limited Gun has the same front sight with a yellow rod (at least I think its yellow). I change the rod like every 5th match, give or take.

When my shooting accuracy falls I change the rod to a fresh chunk and my eye seems to pick up the FO again.

My Question is has anyone found a cleaner that works almost as well as a rod change. Or give the rod more longevity before a change is needed.

I just re FO'd my SS for this weekend but was thinking Id try cleaning the FO rod after each match with Maybe something like Isopropyl Alcohol to see if I could brighten it back up.

Anyone have luck with any other trick secret cleaning solvent...?

care to share? 

yep, rubbing alcohol if i don't feel like changing. and some compressed air to blow any crap away from it. i use those little pads like you rub on your skin before a shot. get the front and rear and the body of the rod.

i've also re-hit each end with a lighter before too and that seemed to brighten it some.

I picked up a meter of the stuff a while back; I don't know that I've ever tried to clean it beyond a quick wipe down.  Supposedly some chemicals would react with the coatings and dull them, but I don't know what that would be.  As rowdyb noted - compresed air works.

If you just don't want to replace them because dawson/whoever charges an arm and a leg - http://shop.fiberopticproducts.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=96_104 has a good selection of options and sizes, sold by the meter.

Edited by ThePeanutGallery

For an opposing viewpoint, Ben Stoeger suggested we take a sharpie and coat the top of the FO to dim it.

His reasoning was that you want the FO on paper 12yd and in, but on 20yd 8" plates you want to quickly be able to switch your focus to the corners of the post and an overwhelmingly bright dot is very hard to ignore.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 11/12/2016 at 11:51 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

For an opposing viewpoint, Ben Stoeger suggested we take a sharpie and coat the top of the FO to dim it.

His reasoning was that you want the FO on paper 12yd and in, but on 20yd 8" plates you want to quickly be able to switch your focus to the corners of the post and an overwhelmingly bright dot is very hard to ignore.

But Stoeger probably has excellent eyesight and isn't partially color blind. I guess if you had really good eyes that would make sense though.

On November 12, 2016 at 8:51 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Is it where the fiber exposed to the light? Not the ends, correct.