Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Single Stack and Production - go with SS position for consistency?

59Bassman

I am almost positive the final verdict will be "try, and see what works for you", however, I must ask for guidance.

I have shot USPSA intermittently over the past 20 years and am planning another push.  This coming year I turn 45, and I'm setting a goal to shoot the SS Nats.  I have no illusions of being anything other than a B/C shooter there to enjoy myself and shoot my first major match.  I have a new 1911 and plan to run either a Comp Tac or Garret Silent Thunder holster.  I'm a male, so no DOH for Single Stack.

I also like shooting in USPSA Production, Steel Challenge, and local 3-gun matches.  In these games I tend to run a CZ, most often a 75 Shadow (although I do have an SP01 on the way).  For the past 7 years I have shot from a Blade Tech holster with the DOH removed.  I recently bought a Stoeger BOSS holster for the incoming SP01, and am now questioning my holster position for the CZs.

Previously, I ran all holsters in SS-legal config (even a limited rig I had) for consistency of draw.  I am tall (6' 3"), with long arms, and although it felt like I was drawing into my armpit, I practiced enough that my hands fell naturally into position on the gun.  Now I wonder if I am sub-optimizing my draw in other divisions/games in order to keep a foolish consistency.  I have tried the DOH back in my CZ's holster, and after a bit it did feel more comfortable, but all heck broke loose when I tried to go back to my Single Stack rig.

So the question for those who shoot Single Stack and other divisions/games:  Do you keep your holster position consistent across your rigs, or do you vary to take "advantage" of what the rules allow?  Am I better off training for a single draw position, or should I be working to adapt to any rig?  Or am I way overthinking all of this?

Thank you for any advice/guidance.

59B

Edited by 59Bassman

Leatham seems to keep his holster position the same and he does alright.

Getting to mere morals, I move mine for limited and use a DDA racemaster..

For SS I use a Bladetech or DAA pro both set at the same spot and height.

My draws with proper dryfire practice are about .015 difference from my limited rig to my SS rig.  Reloads are where the bigger difference for me is.  I believe some of that is the size of the magwell opening in a double stack vs. a SS gun though more than belt placement.

One fo out local masters wears his stuff ipsc legal and he draws and reloads as fast as the rest of the M shooters.  So I believe consistency is probably a better choice.

Maybe I should follow my own advice!!!! LOL

To answer your actual question, I use a DOH in limited and production and a regular (think IDPA-legal) rig in single stack and I don't even notice a difference.  I also carry my magazines in a production/single stack legal manner even in Limited and I certainly do not view it as a disadvantage.

I suppose it depends on how often you switch divisions. If you switch on a regular basis I would probably go with one position (defaulting to SS) for both divisions. If only infrequently, which is what I do, then set up for what each division allows and take advantage of the lower position allowed in Prod.  It shouldn't take more than a few days of dry-fire to get used to the different height between SS and Prod.  

I use the BOSS hanger for both divisions, its just that on my Prod belt the holster is lower.  

I run all my holsters in the same position. Open, Limited, SS, Prod, non-competition work, etc.  Draw times are all fast and repeatable. I tried limited/open in a more forward position as I used to see people do this and found I disliked it.  Every draw for me with the exception of appendix is the same draw. 

Hello: Safariland make a USPSA mount for their holsters that makes everything very adjustable. You can make an adapter plate to fit whatever holster you use. With this mount you can find the sweet spot for you for your single stack. I find after about 20 draws I can draw almost as fast with my single stack holster as my DAA Race Master holster. For production I do use the DOH attachment for my Glock. Placement on my belt is about the same for all holster setups. For single stack I would try some different holster makers to see what works best for you. I use Comp-Tac, Blade Tech and Safariland holsters for single stack. Thanks, Eric

Which goal is more important to you? Shooting well at SS Nats or also sometimes shooting Prod for fun locally? If the answer is SS Nats, then I'd also suggest not shooting Prod at all until after Nats. Totally eliminate the need to even switch and increase your focus on the primary goal.

I think Nils and Robbie have your answer. look at their gear across divisions. I don't think holster position is as big a deal as many think, especially those with limitations like Prod. & SS. I keep mine in SS position so I can pick up brass and not stab myself with a gun/mags.