Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 ACP LOAD

mlm

Having an issue with Bayou Bullets. Shoot a 225 FP green bullet in a Colt 45. OAL is 1.222, do not have a problem with it in my 5" guns. Have a MAC 3011 and that OAL the gun doesn't feed 100%. Went to my gunsmith and was told to lengthen the OAL to 1.245-1.25 (which I use for my 200 SWC). anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Worth a shot. Build a couple dummy rounds and plunk test before you load.

I tried the 225 and could not get it to work in my G21 at all for some reason. The 200's worked better for me. I have some of the new red 230's from SNS on the way to try.

COL is always based on the bullet used and gun's chamber. Change gun, and you may have to change COL.

1.222" in .45 Auto is short. I get that short with "button-nose" LSWCs—not the best feeding bullets any way.

mlm, it is possible your OAL is too short.  I run truncated cones in 45 for all competitions.  My OAL is 1.200 and I have zero problems in any of my 5" 1911s.  A long time ago I read that for best feeding you should set the "ogive" of a TC or SWC bullet to where is would fall on a hardball 230 bullet.  It makes sense.

Here is an example.  Old time bullseye shooters used the plunk test to set their OAL so that the wad cutter section of the SWC was touching the lands and the rear of the cartridge was even with the back of the hood.  With my favorite 200gr LSWC bullet, that ends up being 1.250".  However, I have occasional feeding problems at that OAL and that's not good.  The last thing you want is an alibi on a Timed or Rapid Fire course.  If I shorten the OAL to between 1.235" and 1.240" I have zero feed or any other problems.

Thanks for the input. I tried the Mac again at a match with the 200 gr SWC. Did not make it through the first course of fire. 14 round course and it tied up on round 7 on the first magazine. Said screw it, brought out the 5" Colt and using the SWC 200 gr worked like a champ 150 rounds no problem.

Did mic the feed lips for the double stack MAC, they are at .400-.416, which is in spec. So I am still at a total loss. The bullets mic out on OAL at 1.245-1.25.

Mike