Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays vs Red Dot

rustybayonet

Clays is faster than Red Dot.  Almost anything works in 45ACP.  If you look at the older Alliant reloading data, they have 45ACP loads listed using all of their shotgun powders.  If you are looking for a bullseye load, 4.0gr under a 200gr LSWC will get you 805fps @ 9400psi with a Fed150 primer.  It will work every bit as well as Clays, but won't meter quite as precisely.  If you already have some RD, use it.  Forget about Clays.

My .45 powder choices are:

1) 231/HP38

2) Red Dot/Promo

3) Bullseye

4) AA2

Haven't liked Clays, N310, or TiteGroup.

Burn rate charts are for qualitative not quantitative purposed. The burn rate in a case seems to relate to the cartridge capacity, the pressure generated, and the temperature. Thus, any position shifts as different cartridges are loaded (or even different charge weight are loaded).

Just look at three different burn rate charts and you'll see that is only a vague similarity between them.

I bought Promo (cheaper "version" of Red Dot) to load .380 and found it works well for just about everything from .380 to .45acp.  I've loaded quite a bit of 200gr coated .45acp over 4.6gr Promo.

27 minutes ago, JD45 said:

I tested Red Dot for 9 minor and it shoots great! 

But the case is too full. it'll make a mess.

What weight bullets were you using?  I use it for 147s and am happy.  I looked at trying to use it for 124s, and was kind of shocked at how full the case was at the starting load.  I saw that and decided to stick with Universal for the 124s.

Hello: I have been using up some Red Dot for my 45acp loads. It takes 4.5grains with 200grain SWC to make major. I like Clays or Clay Dot more for 45 major loads. It in my mind is the 45acp powder. Burns clean, soft shooting and can be used for 12 gauge loads as well. Thanks, Eric