Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PLEASE HELP keep the forums alive and ad-free

benos

"in the red" means you owe money on operations (from the old days of red ink) or operating at a loss

"in the black" means you're covering expenses for the year, running at a profit (using black ink).   That's where the term "black friday" comes from--when a business would go "into the black" for the year because of massive sales the day after thanksgiving

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, benos said:

the donations received in November and December have more than covered the server / hosting fees for those months. :) 

So, that means that we need to donate the same amount we just donated,  Every Quarter,  to cover the server fees?

Can I ask how many of us donated (approximate number)?

About 70 members have donated since I started this "drive." Let's leave it like this... I think if everyone just donates whenever and whatever they feel like the forums are worth to them, we'll be fine. I really, really want to keep the forums they way they have always been - ad free, and the members who have donated so far have made that look like it that will happen. 

THANK YOU!

3 hours ago, benos said:

About 70 members have donated

That leaves about 18,000 members who have NOT donated, ANYTHING?

If you have not yet donated, and you feel that this Forum is The Best Thing available

(even better than American Rifleman, Guns & Ammo and Handgunner combined),

PLEASE send Brian $10 - less than the cost of a subscription to a wimpy gun

magazine.    It's worth it ....     :bow: 

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you have not yet donated, and you feel that this Forum is The Best Thing available

Jack, where did you come up with that 18k number? 

There are more than 58k members of the forum...If we could get 1/4 of them to donate just $1.00 each per month, there would never be any issues.

Screenshot_2016-12-28-22-32-14.png

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Actually that's 58,000 not 18,000. And I think there should be a little emblem or asterisk or something to indicate those who do or do not donate. :ph34r:  58,872 members and only about 70 donated?!? That ain't gonna cut it for long I believe.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

Actually that's 58,000 not 18,000. And I think there should be a little emblem or asterisk or something to indicate those who do or do not donate. :ph34r:  58,872 members and only about 70 donated?!? That ain't gonna cut it for long I believe.

You could always add that to your signature line.

16 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Jack, where did you come up with that 18k number? 

There are more than 58k members of the forum...If we could get 1/4 of them to donate just $1.00 each per month, there would never be any issues.

Screenshot_2016-12-28-22-32-14.png

I figured 18,000 is approx. 30.45" of the total - that seemed like a reasonable number to start with ...    :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind some shooting related ads on here, BTW.  I enjoy reading shooting related ads in

the gun magazines - matter of fact, in American Rifleman, the ads are The Best part of the Mag.    :) 

Made my donation via Paypal. I am fairly new to the forum, I have found a wealth of information, this donation was a no-brainer. 

I was reading through the thread and I saw the suggestion of making new members pay to access the forum. I personally think this would be horrible for the forum and deter a lot of people. When I go to a site and hit a pay wall I usually leave that site and never come back. I don't want to put money out there to get into a site just to find out all the content is garbage, I know that is not the case here, as someone new coming to the site how would they know. Yes, this is going to mean that the few will be paying to keep the site online for the many, I'm okay with that. Another way to look at it, how many forums are out there that you look at, what if you had to pay to access everyone of the forums, would you? I know I wouldn't I would go broke, I will donate to the ones that are the most useful to me and hope that others donate to other forums of there choice so they stay free and available to me on the occasions I go there. In the end I believe this balances it out. Just my 2 cents. 

@benos, have you looked into setting up a reoccurring donation? Whether it is monthly, quarterly, yearly or just one-time, heck give people the choice and let them decide how often they want to donate and how much. I'd be happy to help research what is needed to setup a system like this to keep the forum on the net and Ad-free. Please PM if there is anything I can do to help. 

Thank you to all the time and work you have put into the forum to keep it going. 

3 hours ago, cspiess24 said:

Made my donation via Paypal. I am fairly new to the forum, I have found a wealth of information, this donation was a no-brainer. 

I was reading through the thread and I saw the suggestion of making new members pay to access the forum. I personally think this would be horrible for the forum and deter a lot of people. When I go to a site and hit a pay wall I usually leave that site and never come back. I don't want to put money out there to get into a site just to find out all the content is garbage, I know that is not the case here, as someone new coming to the site how would they know. Yes, this is going to mean that the few will be paying to keep the site online for the many, I'm okay with that. Another way to look at it, how many forums are out there that you look at, what if you had to pay to access everyone of the forums, would you? I know I wouldn't I would go broke, I will donate to the ones that are the most useful to me and hope that others donate to other forums of there choice so they stay free and available to me on the occasions I go there. In the end I believe this balances it out. Just my 2 cents. 

@benos, have you looked into setting up a reoccurring donation? Whether it is monthly, quarterly, yearly or just one-time, heck give people the choice and let them decide how often they want to donate and how much. I'd be happy to help research what is needed to setup a system like this to keep the forum on the net and Ad-free. Please PM if there is anything I can do to help. 

Thank you to all the time and work you have put into the forum to keep it going. 

Thanks a lot for all your feedback. I won't do recurring donations. I'd prefer that members just donate as the feel fit. 

On 12/29/2016 at 1:51 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

From post above, where I derived my post.

From reading these Forums for the past nine years, I would have to guess there are probably only

about 100 "regulars" who "live here", and maybe another 100- 200 who are here OFTEN.

The other 57,700 are occasional, or gone, or dead (anyone know how many different people

actually contribute here each month?)

That means that if we get 25% of the 300 Frequent Flyers, we'd have about 75 contributions

(Oh, wait, that's what we have).

You'll NEVER get 25%, or even 10%, of the others to contribute.    :( 

There have been 7,231 posts, this month, with the word "the" in them. As for how many members posted, I would have to go through those 7k posts to find out, and I ain't doing that...but I'll bet it was a good bit more than 300 members. That would be 24.5 posts per member if there were only 300....while some may have many more than 24.5, many won't.

6 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

There have been 7,231 posts, this month, (24.5 posts per member if there were only 300) ....while some may have many more than 24.5, many won't.

Well, if 17,000 people posted 0.3 times/month each, that would be 5,100 posts.

Then the other 300 "Real Members" would have to post only 7 posts/month/each :) 

Heck, I bet you and Sarge and I post at least 200 posts/month, each.   That's 8% of 7,231.  ;)

49 minutes ago, gregdavidl said:

Only 70 donated?  LOL  I was one of them and I do not even shoot anymore.  But I enjoy reading the forum so I donated.

I haven't done much shooting for the past couple years, either.   :(

BUT, guess we BOTH really enjoy reading these Forums - makes it seem a little

like I'd still involved in my favorite hobby   :) 

So, that makes at least two of us "almost non-shooters" who have contributed ...

• 3 weeks later...