Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PLEASE HELP keep the forums alive and ad-free

benos

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donation made via PayPal. I'm also a member on the CalGuns forum http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php and they have a donation system where you can set up a monthly auto donation via paypal and other mechanisms. Donors get a little tag in their profile if they donate. They have two different funds, one for running the forums and another for CA's gun rights fight. They seem to keep things running smoothly and rarely have to ask for $. I would gladly make a monthly donation to keep this site going and without ads. A different example is how Wikipedia has an annual fund drive on their home page that states what their donation needs are to keep it free.

5 minutes ago, glassblower said:

Hmm, wasn't aware of any issues with Wikipedia, although the idea of one annual fund drive with a specific goal would still be valid. 

Their fundraisers are generally scams.  They raise hundreds of millions of dollars through the year and spend 2-3% of it on actual operations of the site (which is run by volunteers).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/02/wikipedia-has-a-ton-of-money-so-why-is-it-begging-you-to-donate-yours/?utm_term=.25cbf25b8eae

“People will come up to me during fundraising season and ask if Wikipedia’s in trouble,” said Andrew Lih, an associate professor of journalism at American University and the author of “The Wikipedia Revolution.” “I have to reassure them that not only is Wikipedia not in trouble, but that it’s making more money than ever before and is at no risk of going away.”

In the fiscal year that ended last June, WMF reported net assets in excess of $77 million — about one and a half times the amount it actually takes to fund the site for a year. On Dec. 3, 2014 — the single biggest day of last year’s fundraising campaign — the foundation pocketed enough money to power Wikipedia’s servers for 66 straight weeks.

I'd MUCH rather see an informal policy of "1% of your classified sales should be donated back to BEnos" or similar.  I'm MUCH happier supporting BEnos.

Note: I'm a Wikipedia editor (though VERY infrequently) and not against it.  I just find their fundraising drives distasteful.

58 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Their fundraisers are generally scams.  They raise hundreds of millions of dollars through the year and spend 2-3% of it on actual operations of the site (which is run by volunteers).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/12/02/wikipedia-has-a-ton-of-money-so-why-is-it-begging-you-to-donate-yours/?utm_term=.25cbf25b8eae

I'd MUCH rather see an informal policy of "1% of your classified sales should be donated back to BEnos" or similar.  I'm MUCH happier supporting BEnos.

Note: I'm a Wikipedia editor (though VERY infrequently) and not against it.  I just find their fundraising drives distasteful.

And you've said so, twice.  You can stop now.  

This is BE, we're the good guys.

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Brian, are we in the red?    Do we have enough to carry on for another few months, or years?

I'm not sure what in the red means... :) But the donations received in November and December have more than covered the server / hosting fees for those months. :) 

I was thinking of... Creating a new "donate" button for each quarter. And bump this thread to coincide with that.