Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My switch from plastic to Tanfo

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I switched from plastic fantastics and had zero issues. In fact my skill level/performance only increased. I think most issues people have going to a new gun is mental. But that's just me, it's definitely different for every person. 

Prior mstch gun was a P320 GGI

I have to laugh.

##############

Due to a copyright claim, the audio in your YouTube video has been muted.Video title: 12# Patriot Defense hammer spring Copyrighted song: Already Gone Claimed by: WMG

##########

I guess the radio was on.  didn't even notice.

On 11/8/2016 at 11:54 PM, Dr Mitch said:

Reloads: practice them with zeal. The problem is that the opening of the magwell is a set of compound angles. 

Do you finding the Tanfos harder to reload than CZ?  I've never messed with Tanfo, so I didn't know how they compare.

I am not sure I would say it is hard.  The mag well opening is just a dumb design.  Visually deceiving.

I have only reloaded a CZ maybe 10 times, playing with friends' guns, so I am not necessarily qualified yet to compare their respective "reloadability".

It really isn't a big deal if you practice.  It can easily be overcome with about 3 weeks of mag changes to get back to 0.8-1.0sec reloads.  It isn't a deal-breaker by any means, just worth mentioning.

Went from Glock 34 to stock 2. Reloads, da to sa transition, learning curve wasn't too bad after some dry fire practice. What is killing me is i can't grip the s2 high like i do the Glock. I don't know the best way to overcome this.

On 11/8/2016 at 10:46 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Nope.

I'm going to weigh it at every step. Next comes the pull weights now that it has 350 down the pipe, and then after polishing.

350-500 rounds and 500 or so dryfires had no affect on the trigger weight.

Polishing the internals of the slide also did nothing to change the weight my gauge was averaging - but removing the "zipper" feeling to the firing pin block could be felt in a smoother trigger pull.

Orders which shipped today:

CGW:

canik trigger pin

Patriot Defense:

Extractor, Firing Pin, Sear, Trigger springs.

8lb longslide (10lb) recoil spring

13 & 14 lb PD Hammer Springs

Bolo, Titan hammer, Xtreme Sear & F.P. Block

Henning guide rod

Going to see what happens when it's time to fit and install all of this on Wed or Thurs. I've already teamed my barrel to take my pet load out to 1.160 long, so I won't have to worry about those teething issues on my new gun. 

Thursday or Friday, I'll run a couple hundred rounds through it at an indoor range.

Then, like a fool, I'm going to drive two hours to a match I haven't attended before and shoot it for the very first time under stress.

(I'll be bringing my M&P along as a backup and I'll be surprised if I don't have to switch to it!)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Smart to do the 8lb. 

I just barely bought 2 9lb's because I couldn't remember if I used the 8 or 9. Turns out I used the 8 and it has taken a bit to get used to it. 

For 147gr bullets the 8 seems to be the ticket.

Have you polished all the bits and pieces yet?

My advice would be to use the 14# spring, even after polishing, for the match.  (bet you knew that, but I wanted to say it anyway!, just in case.)

The fresh gun at a match makes the butt pucker...but it should be ok.  (crossing fingers, knocking wood) 

My opinion is the recoil spring rate is a bit high.  once you get familiar, try some lighter ones to see if it runs flatter. Mine seems to run 135gr minor loads best with a 6# long slide spring cut to the same length as the factory spring.

37 minutes ago, WJM said:

Smart to do the 8lb. 

8lb long slide is "supposedly" the same spring they give you when you order a 10lb for the shorter Stock II. But I read that here, on the internet, where someone got it secondhand from a Wolff employee.

So this is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

5 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Have you polished all the bits and pieces yet?

My advice would be to use the 14# spring, even after polishing, for the match.  (bet you knew that, but I wanted to say it anyway!, just in case.)

The fresh gun at a match makes the butt pucker...but it should be ok.  (crossing fingers, knocking wood) 

My opinion is the recoil spring rate is a bit high.  once you get familiar, try some lighter ones to see if it runs flatter. Mine seems to run 135gr minor loads best with a 6# long slide spring cut to the same length as the factory spring.

Still polishing a little here and there. I have two days til I have any chance of my parts appearing, and I don't want to tear down the Sear cage before then, to forget how it works.

So I'm polishing a piece here and there. I find you're much more deliberate about perfecting each part's finish if you aren't trying to do everything in a few short hours.

My transition from plastic fantastic to Stock2 has been very nice. In fact, I shoot better, reload faster, and am more used to the tanfo already than my duty gun. And I've put close to 10k through my duty gun. The tanfo is just much more home like for me. I grew up with 1911s, and I'll be buried with one to blaze through the afterlife with.

I do still prefer the plastic fantastic duty gun... For duty carry. Its reliability is unimpeachable, and it's accurate enough for a 7 yard engagement. But the trigger is aweful and the grip is too small and it has that weird paddle mag release on the bottom of the trigger guard. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

Take care with fitting the sear to the safety lever. You must maintain an overhang which goes on TOP of the bump on the safety lever.  some people just file it back which ruins it!  remove metal from under. 

It makes sense when you're fitting them. 

Oh... on the canik pin you also ordered.  it will give slightly more trigger wobble as it has a slightly smaller diameter.  it does make detail stripping easier, but adds that little wobble.

10 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Take care with fitting the sear to the safety lever. You must maintain an overhang which goes on TOP of the bump on the safety lever.  some people just file it back which ruins it!  remove metal from under. 

It makes sense when you're fitting them. 

Oh... on the canik pin you also ordered.  it will give slightly more trigger wobble as it has a slightly smaller diameter.  it does make detail stripping easier, but adds that little wobble.

Canik pin isn't here yet. The PD parts got here faster than the CGW. Probably by 1 day.

If I build the gun with a factory pin, will there be any issue switching to the CGW later on?

Wobble is just fine with me.