Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updated AR-308 Options For 3-Gun

Matt in TN

It seems like everybody and their brother are suddenly jumping on the 308 AR bandwagon lately, and I'm tempted to finally give up my old FAL and buy a "modern" rifle.  I've seen a bunch of old threads on this topic over the years, but thought a newer one with updated info might be useful.  So far in my comparison I have five in the running:

JP Rifles - the gold standard, but you pay for it
Armalite's 18" 3-Gun model (AR103GN18)
Doublestar's 18" STAR-10B
DPMS of various flavors - the Gen2 seems to be especially interesting on paper, but would take some upgrades?
Custom Build

And not an AR, but a SCAR17 is tempting too.  Who else am I forgetting?  Which rifles are winning the Heavy Metal matches around the country?

And finally, I saw one report that the Magpul mags should be replaced every 500 rounds or so, because the recoil of the 308 drives the bullets into the front of the mags and deforms the plastic to the point it can cause nosedives.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Or can anyone debunk the report with better/newer data on high roundcount 308 PMAGS?

The biggest problem with the DPMS GII pattern is the lack of aftermarket barrels, and to some extent handguards.  It will accept all AR15 stocks, grips, triggers, latch handles (not full charging handles), optics and mounts.  There are 3 or 4 hanguards on the market, including Midwest Industries.  But if you want a particular barrel profile, best current option is having an original DPMS GII barrel cut down.  Luckily the DPMS barrels have been pretty good for accuracy.

That said, it starts from a position of lighter weight than the large-frame options and being smaller, its easier to manipulate.   

Edited by mostholycerebus

35 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

308 is cool again? 

Must be a regional thing, it's dead around here. But no one cares about PCC in the 3 gun either...

It depends on the matches you plan on shooting. Obviously the He Man Nationals needs a .308 unless you want to wear a tiara. :)

2 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

308 is cool again? 

Must be a regional thing, it's dead around here. But no one cares about PCC in the 3 gun either...

308 has always been cool.  If there's no one there shooting it, that means there's no one cool there.  ;-)

Replaced my FAL with the GII lightweight Hunter model for HM.

Upgrades: Threaded barrel for a brake, an adjustable gas block, added Nordic hand guard that was a direct replacement using factory barrel nut, dropped in an AR gold trigger and added an ACE stock with a grind to fit Limbsaver recoil pad to match my T/O division rifle configuration.

Gun is very accurate, fun to shoot and it just flat runs! 

Thank you sir!  How heavy is that Hunter barrel, and how much does the zero wander as it warms up (or does it)?  How many rounds do you have through it so far, and have you seen any of the PMAG issues reported above?

I'm awfully tempted by that same rifle...

Edit: Did you thread the barrel at 20", or cut it down and thread it?  I'd love to cut it down to 18" and thread it, but I'm worried it won't run right.

Edited by Matt in TN

I "abandoned" my FALs for competition this year and went with Aero upper/lower and JP 18" barrel and a bunch of other JP stuff. I figure since I'd swap a bunch of parts on any factory rifle I might as well assemble it from scratch. Picked one of them fancy Geissele triggers. I have a sentimental (draft) weak spot for the FAL, but there's no going back.

To the OP, 

Sorry I don't know the exact weight of the barrel other than it is a much smaller diameter than their "heavy" barreled model. As far as zero shift, my longest string of fire has only been 20 rounds at a time and there was no noticeable shift in the POI. Also my intentions were to cut and thread down to 18" but the barrel shot so well that I decided not to chance compromising that so I only threaded the barrel at 20" and haven't looked back. No experience with mag problems you referred to but my mags are only I the 300-400 round range.

I picked up a DPMS LR-GII 16" Recon model a few weeks ago, put on a Leupold VX-R 2-7. First group after zeroing was 9/16" with Freedom Munitions 168gr HPBT loads. Only gripe so far is the handguard, but I have a Midwest industries on orders.

17 hours ago, DEP44 said:

I "abandoned" my FALs for competition this year and went with Aero upper/lower and JP 18" barrel and a bunch of other JP stuff. I figure since I'd swap a bunch of parts on any factory rifle I might as well assemble it from scratch. Picked one of them fancy Geissele triggers. I have a sentimental (draft) weak spot for the FAL, but there's no going back.

I've been running a JP LRP-07 for a while now, and it's great.  Relatively light recoil with the gas block turned own, and accurate as hell with an 18" barrel.  Good luck with your new rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

Knights sr25 ACC 

Gold Medal Match shoots at least MOA in the ACC's 16in CL pencil barrel.

I'm running a SiCo harvestor big bore break. Makes the felt recoil similar to a bird cage AR carbine

Runs all ammo I've tried & doesn't blow up when freedom munitions sells crappie 308 filled to the top with powder.