Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best .45 cal single stack mags?

js1130146

What are some of the better SS mags out there for .45 ACP? I'm currently running Power Mags but the followers are starting to bend and fail to lock back the slide after only 1 season. I'm thinking I might buy a new set and relegate the CMCs to training/other guns. The only catch is I need them to be Dawson Ice compatible, preferably no gap. Any suggestions?

Hello: I really like the Metalform Elite mags with Dawson base pads. They have a metal round top follower and good quality spring. The last ones I bought off E-Bay in a 10 pack. I use the Dawson Ice Gap magwell on my 45 as well. I also use some old Wilson 47D's with Dawson base pads and they work well. Just a note I also use these both for my 40 1911. No tuning, just run them as they are. Just one thing to add I can run semi wad cutters with both of these mags. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

I've been eyeing the elites. They look like good value. I've been impressed with metalform mags in the past. I do like the stock mag that came with my Trojan which I believe is one of the metalforms.

It looks like a more robust follower design

Wilson 47's

Five seasons with no gap pads and they still work great.

Had 16 sold 10 of them cause I've had no problems with the first six I bought about 8 years ago.

Also I've pretty much gone to 40 for the last couple of years so didn't see the need for a bunch of extra 45 mags.

Still think Wilson pretty much warranties them for life.  Not 100% sure of that anymore.

About 8 years ago I sent them a Wilson Rogers mag back that split in the back, they sent me a new mag about a week later.

Kinda like Dillon reloaders, tough not to like them when they make a good product and stand behind it

Just now, PatJones said:

I'm running Tripp mags with Dawson baseplates. They have a longer than typical body so they seat easily on a closed slide when they're full.

That's one thing that I like about the CMCs. They seat easily on a closed slide.

I'm a huge fan of the Wilson ETM mags.  No flaws and they keep on working.  My oldest set of four is over five years old and they have about 10,000 rounds each through them.  They all have the original followers and springs..

I have a boatload of Shooting Star mags ($7.00 each in 2003 at Del Mar Gun Show) that work great and they're all from the early 2000s. Also have some MecGar mags (17.00 each) that I've used for three seasons, no issues  They're easy to seat fully loaded. And I've used some JoesMagazineMania mags (about $16.00 each if memory serves from eBay) for three seasons. And an Ed Brown 8 Pack that I've used for about 9 years.

Shooting Star were annoying to clean, other than that no issues. The others work, and are very affordable. They've held up well. All have worked in multiple guns. 

If I was buying now, knowing what I know, I'd go with the MecGar mags. They have the better base pad for cleaning (tab at base of mag holding base pad on is folded out, leaving entire bottom of the tube open). 

Another vote for the Wilson Combat magazines. I have the ETM #500. I can't see paying the extra for the +P versions. I love the followers in the Wilson magazine as it is the same as any double stack 9 and 40 that I have. I have a shooting star mag but hatet the follower. It is crappier than the magazines I got with my Sig 1911.

FWIW the spring, follower, and basepad from a Wilson ETM magazine fits whatever brand originally came with my Sig tactical. (checkmate?)  I frankensteined them together when I cleaned my gun last week to see if it would be worth it ordering the kits from Wilson. Everything seemed to slide as it should, but I haven't been to the range with that setup to check.

oh, and if you hit the right vendors at the shows you can save yourself around $10 a magazine. I think the #500 is supposed to be retail of about $40, but I paid around $30 a pop for mine.

I know Wilson is big on the ETM in 45 but I've got a stock of the older 47D's that refuse to give me a reason to go to something else. Then again I've used Shooting Stars in my 9MM single stack Taurus for years that also won't give up. Don't try to run a $1,000 dollar gun on $10 dollar magazines. Quality isn't cheap.

NRA Life & Benefactor   

There's an old saying that if your gun won't run with wilson's get a another gun.  I had 8 Wilson 47 mags that I ran for about 15 years.  I sent them in because they were pretty beat up and Wilson sent me 8 brand new mags.  There ETM's are excellent.

I used half a dozen power mags for two years without a single problem. I installed an ice magwell and because they had a package deal on 47d's with Dawson basepads. Because of tolerance stacking they were a pain the ass. I had to swap basepads around between magazine bodies till I could get all 6 to drop free. And even after that there are two that won't seat reliably enough on a close slide so they are now my Barney and last mag. A total pain in the ass. If I hadn't already used them I'd send the damn things back and buy the thicker plastic pads for the CMC. I will say I feel the main issue is with them is the stupid Dawson basepads. I had to chamfer the hole on every one to get the plate to even lock otherwise the pads would pop off when the mags hit the ground. 

My brother had issues w his stock wilsons seating on a closed slide too. I find it interesting since supposedly CMC have longer lasting springs. 

Red

Checkmate magazines have always been my favorite and I've had them work in several guns whereas Wilson Combat magazines were not reliable across different guns.

CMC would be my second choice, especially the old Shooting Star magazines.

• 1 month later...