Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

book

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the book and it's not bad.  I do disagree with one part of it.  The author has a section on how to use the concious mind effectively which of coarse is counter productive and bad for us but the book was written with bullseye type shooting mind.  However it does cover some of the little things that other shooting books didn't and it will help me refocus.  I will have to check out Position Rifle Shooting Book. I just got a new evil black assault rifle and I'm excited about learning how to shoot it.

One more point or question on books concerning rifle or (slowfire or bullseye type) pistol shooting (raised by JT). It is somewhat easier, although often not the most effective, to think your way through what you're doing. This is totally the anti-christ of what IPSC shooters need to master. I clearly remember the day, 15 - 18 years ago, when I was having dinner with the legendary Bill Blankenship, when I realized this. At that moment, I knew, without doubt, that to shoot successfully in IPSC, everything you are going to do has to be clearly decided in your mind before the buzzer. From that day on, I changed my whole approach. To be sure, I'm not implying that Bill B was a "thinker" while he was shooting. (For "some  reason" it just triggered the understanding.) I had many discussions with him regarding his techniques, mental and physical, and he definitely TRUSTED when he competed. For sure, in training, he left no stone unturned - so he KNEW what to trust, and where to place his attention to allow IT to happen.

be

Brian,  I read in your last post: "At that moment, I knew, without doubt, that to shoot successfully in IPSC, everything you are going to do has to be clearly decided in your mind before the buzzer."  This statement rings so true that I couldn't suppress a wistful grin.   So many times I have tried to start "figuring" after the beep and turned the stage into mush.  This may be a key element of the dreaded "brain fart" that so many shooters sheepishly report after wrecking a stage.  I can report that changing plans/doubting after the beep has rarely resulted in any better ideas for me.   I have learned to be very careful when I'm watching a person, whom I know to be a better shooter, do a walk-through on a stage.  I have to decide if I have the skills to try it that way (OR NOT!), and then completely put it to rest before the beep.   It isn't like we're just going to the store for a quart of milk and decide it would be more fun to take the scenic route    

Bonedaddy,

Your post reminded me of something - I can't tell you how many times I've blown a stage because  the first thing I saw when approaching the stage for the first time was a shooter shooting the stage incorrectly. Man, that's a hard one to erase. Now, I make every attempt to not watch the stage being shot unless I either know the stage description, or trust that the shooter shooting does.

be

• 2 weeks later...

From what I experienced in my years shooting, if you change your plan after the buzzer goes off and you survive that stage, it is purely luck. I can only remember maybe once or twice ever being able to change game plans and not crash and burn completely.

Kevin/IPSC Supercop