Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

problem adjusting to red dot

Boy

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Click the word “Quote” below the post you want to reply to, and start typing in the text box. Should be rather straightforward

The RMR is extremely popular in defensive use because it’s incredibly durable compared to most other dots. But it’s not as popular in gaming circles. 

Like this?  LOL, thanks,

5 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Click the word “Quote” below the post you want to reply to, and start typing in the text box. Should be rather straightforward

The RMR is extremely popular in defensive use because it’s incredibly durable compared to most other dots. But it’s not as popular in gaming circles. 

Ok, I’ll ask another question. I’ve got several other good handguns with open sights. I’ve always been a fairly decent shot with them. Should I use one of these (.45, .40, 9mm) instead of my G17C, 2nd gen., with the RMR for competitions?  I have yet to enter my first since yesterday I got snagged in a police chase that shut down the 5 freeway near Camp Pendleton and couldn’t make it to a Steel Challenge. 

Shoot the gun with the dot. Shoot whatever you love. It’ll be a lot of fun.

Go there with an attitude toward learning the game, and having fun finding your weaknesses. Do not show up expecting to finish anywhere above the lowest 1/3 of the match attendees; you won’t. Do not expect to excel... and without that goal it no longer matters which gun you bring.

That’s when guys either see how much better they can get and embrace self improvment, or  they never come back. 

1 minute ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Go there with an attitude toward learning the game, and having fun finding your weaknesses. Do not show up expecting to finish anywhere above the lowest 1/3 of the match attendees; you won’t. Do not expect to excel... and without that goal it no longer matters which gun you bring.

That’s when guys either see how much better they can get and embrace self improvment, or  they never come back. 

10-4!

On 1/4/2019 at 10:38 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Took the open sights off today🤓open sights

On 12/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, devilsdenguns said:

couple things you might be doing.

You're shooting the dot. Like trying to look at the dot like iron sights. And trying to refine it too much. Or expecting the dot to look perfect. Make sure youre target focused when shooting. You should really only be seeing a blur of the dot from time to time. But the difference with shooting irons is some of the variations in grip and all that or sight picture (sight focused), you may not be able to notice it because the variation is such a minute amount (in equal height equal light). So visually you cant really tell s#!t is off kilter but it is. With a dot this is much more apparent. So to fix this, don't expect perfection, just learn over time to realize whats acceptable.

Practice target transitions while sitting flat footed. And make sure you're maintaining the target focused visualization. Only barely picking up the dot when it comes into your line of sight as necessary.

And then practice position transition. breaking grip and then coming back into a position and regaining the dot.

With the draw, I know a few guys that had a lot of issues picking up the dot off the draw. Especially if it involved a step or two, or a draw to a lean. So id practice the clock method or the box method. So draw while stepping to the positions of a clock and then work your way around the clock to ensure you can pick it up while stepping into any position.

This^^^^

Focus on the target, not the dot.  When the dot gets where you eyes are looking, make a good trigger press.  Observe the dot, don’t focus on it.  For a detailed explanation listen to the Firearms Nation podcast with Yong Lee (there are more than one episodes).  Don’t be a “front sight focused” with the dot.  Finally, understand that you will have to learn to shoot a dot just like you learned to shoot irons.  IMO it can teach you a lot if you pay attention.  

I had a very similar struggle until I realized I needed to shoot target focus which is the opposite of how I learned to shoot. Also,  taking advice from this forum I dry fired like a mad man including many different positions to learn how to find the dot in a situation other than the draw. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.  Shoot the light switch on your wall until it's automatic when coming out of the holster.  Like they say in marshal arts, 1,000 uchikomi's!  (1,000 repetitions).

Edited by mvmojo

On 1/4/2019 at 3:15 PM, beta1759 said:

I have found that if you can't find the dot (transitioning from a non-optic pistol), in addition to lots of dryfire, is it point the muzzle down a bit to find it.

Yes, muzzle down, that helps ...

19 hours ago, mvmojo said:

Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.  Shoot the light switch on your wall until it's automatic when coming out of the holster.  Like they say in marshal arts, 1,000 uchikomi's!  (1,000 repetitions).

19 hours ago, mvmojo said:

If my  lightswitch was a  target it would be obliterated, haha, been shooting it to pieces!👍shooting targetlight

8 minutes ago, LEJ said:

Yes, muzzle down, that helps ...

But. it's also slow!  Got to be able to come up on the dot & target simultaneously.  Lots of dry fire!

Edited by mvmojo

2 hours ago, mvmojo said:

But. it's also slow!  Got to be able to come up on the dot & target simultaneously.  Lots of dry fire!

Yeah, all the advice I’ve received on this forum has been helpful, e.g., removing the open sights, dry fire till the cows come home, target focus not dot focus, etc.  Now all I need to do is reps then more reps. 

Thanks!