Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noble sport prima V, the best for 9???

Superpipe9

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Load data, you will get from here.  It's fast burning, a hair faster than Titegroup in my data, and so recoil is soft.  Accuracy has been quite good.  It's single-base, so it's clean.  Metering has been decent for me, but some people have found that it takes a long time for the powder to settle in the hopper and start producing consistent drops.  As long as you're patient and run a lot of preliminary drops before loading, so as to shake the hopper and help the powder to settle, you're fine.

Edited by IDescribe

my experience is similar to what IDescribe posts. I really really like the powder. very clean and very consistent metering. I find the sometime in the first 100 pulls, the weight will gradually creep up about .1 gr, but that only affects me when I first switch calibers. after that I leave the powder measure full for weeks or months, loading 100-ish rounds at a time with my coffee or beer as time allows.

I'm using it for 125 gr and 147 gr bullets, and will use it for 40 major as well when I run out of red dot.

Would you say it's better than titegroup? That's all I have used for the last couple years but it's dirty and smokey so I'm just looking for something closer to N320 without the price tag and heard this was the stuff

2 minutes ago, Superpipe9 said:

Would you say it's better than titegroup? That's all I have used for the last couple years but it's dirty and smokey so I'm just looking for something closer to N320 without the price tag and heard this was the stuff

i've never used titegroup because i've heard its dirty and smokey. I l ike prima v better than n320 however, because it's cheaper, and slightly faster.

Edited by motosapiens

I load a very similar powder, Nobel Vectan GM3, which is in the same family as Prima V  and it takes a while to settle in also.  I found that using one of those cheap 4 legged vibrating massagers like you see at places like walgreens helps a lot in getting the power settled in the hopper.  Only takes minute or so - I just place the vibrator on the hopper, let let the powder settle and then make sure the hopper doesn't get below 1/4 full after that.    If not, then as mentioned it can take 50 or so rounds before it settles in.  Once settled in, however,  I get very consistent power throws.  

Great powder for all the same reasons mentioned above - accurate, clean, behaves well (not pressure spikey), and loads well on a progressive press.     For me, GM3 and American Select have become my standard 9mm powders.   

Edited by Bamboo

I have been there and done that. 

I like trying different powders but won't buy in quantity until I've tried loading it at least a little.  Locally for me the powder selection is OK and can usually find a pound (or in Vectan's case a 1.1 pound) container to try.   Occasionally I can horse trade for a lunch baggie of powder, which is even better.  Have you looked locally to see if it is available from a local shop?  Know anybody using that powder?  The Prima V is a shotgun powder with limited info for pistol shooters, so maybe ask some shotgun reloaders?

I've finished my first 1.1 lb jug of Prima V.  It's now my favorite 9mm minor powder. It reminds me of WST, just faster. It's the cleanest powder I've ever run. Runs cooler than Titegroup also. 

My loads have chronoed very consistent. 

On 10/27/2016 at 5:34 PM, BASE772 said:

I've finished my first 1.1 lb jug of Prima V.  It's now my favorite 9mm minor powder. It reminds me of WST, just faster. It's the cleanest powder I've ever run. Runs cooler than Titegroup also. 

My loads have chronoed very consistent. 

As WST is my favorite powder short of now-unobtainable Solo1000, that's a very heady recommendation.

I'll be ordering 8(.8) pounds of it shortly.

I primarily run Clay Dot and 147gr pills.  But for 124gr, Clay Dot isn't ideal, so I went with Prima V/SV. I found both to be exceptional powders. They measure great and burn clean. I like both better than n320 just for the simple fact that they didn't leave the mess on the press that n320 did, ymmv. Prima SV is similar to Clays (Aussie) as V is similar to TG.

I currently have 4# of each. After I finish burning through the 16# of Clay Dot, I'll be switching to Prima V for 124gr and SV for 147gr.

If you search this sub forum a bit, you'll come across a few threads with load data and other's experiences with these powders. 

If you buy 10 jugs from Grafs, the hazmat is free, only $7.95 shipping.  

Loading data is about the same as Titegroup in charge weight.  Prima V is much cleaner than TG for sure: Titegroup is about as dirty as Prima V on the same platform suppressed.  

I have been loading 124 plated bullets @4.0 gr, 1.13" getting 133 pf from my M&P core.

6 hours ago, Dannybot said:

If you buy 10 jugs from Grafs, the hazmat is free, only $7.95 shipping.  

Loading data is about the same as Titegroup in charge weight.  Prima V is much cleaner than TG for sure: Titegroup is about as dirty as Prima V on the same platform suppressed.  

I have been loading 124 plated bullets @4.0 gr, 1.13" getting 133 pf from my M&P core.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've been ordering from Grafs for close to 20 years and I've been looking for a deal on Prima V.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking this powder a lot—cheap, clean, and cool burning. Accuracy and consistency seem fine. But like others I've noticed that the powder measure takes at least ten or twenty throws to settle down after a change. Any idea why that might be?

Load data so far to make 130 PF out of my SP-01 Shadows:

147 SNS coated: 3.3 gr, 1.13"

160 SNS coated: 3.0 gr, 1.15"

147 X-Treme RN: 3.6 gr., 1.13"

165 X-Treme RN: 3.3 gr., 1.15"

Edited by Andreas

I think it is because of the irregular shapes and sizes of the granules and it takes some agitation to get nested together. 

Another thing that is interesting is that the published data says GM3 is slower than Prima V but I get 128-ish power factor with 147 grain bullets and 3.0 gr of GM3 (out of a 5" barrel").  I've seen similar anecdotal load data that suggests GM3 is a lot faster than what Nobel says (about the AA#5 or SR 7625 range).   From my experience I'd put GM3 closer to red dot or AA#2 range based on powder charge weights.

Edited by Bamboo

15 hours ago, Andreas said:

I'm liking this powder a lot—cheap, clean, and cool burning. Accuracy and consistency seem fine. But like others I've noticed that the powder measure takes at least ten or twenty throws to settle down after a change. Any idea why that might be?

Load data so far to make 130 PF out of my SP-01 Shadows:

147 SNS coated: 3.3 gr, 1.13"

160 SNS coated: 3.0 gr, 1.15"

147 X-Treme RN: 3.6 gr., 1.13"

165 X-Treme RN: 3.3 gr., 1.15"

Same here, like the powder a lot.

124 Xtreme RN-135pf- shoots clean and soft plus it's accurate and best of all cheap. Grafs have a deal 10 bottle free hazmat.