Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a red dot for 1911

twister

Many Bulls-eye shooters use slide mounted Ultradot Matchdot red dots.

I mounted a couple on 38sp/45 ACP revolvers for several years without issue.  They work and hold up.

I switched to Weaver rings,I dislike vertical split rings that completely loose zero when removed.  The Weavers sit a bit lower.

I have 5 FF3 8 MOA sights.  All are functional.  One is mounted on a 1911 45 via the rear sight adapter.  another is mounted directly to a 1911 45 slide.  A third is mounted to an Open gun via dovetail adapter.  The other two are mounted to rails on 1911 22 pistols.  The oldest is the dovetail mounted 1911 45.  I saw about 40,000 rounds before the first "failure".  The little plastic cover over the diode port split and later fell off.  The sight still worked, but I was concerned about dirt, etc. getting in there.  I sent it to Burris and asked them to fix it.  They sent me a new unit, complete.

I have no problem recommending Burris FFs, but I do have one observation.  The "click" adjustment on either the Windage or Elevation screws are not tight on some units leading to a wishy washy feel when adjusting.  It means the detent intended to hold the screw in place is weak, and that can allow it to drift and lose zero.  I have one like that slide mounted on a 1911.  I will swap that sight with one of the to a 22 pistols, and that should cure the problem.

I mention this, because it could affect you.  If you plan to lighten your slide and shoot Major PF loads, it could become an issue.  If you are worried about this you could consider a Burris FF2 or a C-More RTS2 v4.  Both have positive locking screws for the adjustments.

If mounting a Burris FF III to a 1911 you I'll need a mount, either a Burris plate or pic rail depending on the sight  acquisitionyou purchase. I would also suggest a 3 MOA if you plan to BE or paper target shoot,, especially at 25 or 50 yards. The 8 MOA is a larger dot and easier to pick up for fast target acquisition. It's not ideal for long distance target shooting IMO.

2 hours ago, zzt said:

Since you are only shooting target loads, there is nothing wrong with the Burris FF3.

And what's wrong with FF's for open loads? I've shot 10's of thousands of open rounds under FF'S with zero issues, both frame and slide mounts.