Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optic for my 6,5 grendel

fishhunter3

trying to choose a scope for my new ar build, have rifle mostly completed 24 in. 6.5 Grendel that I an setting up for some tac rifle shoots, having a hard time picking a scope, thinking about a vortex PST in 4-16 or a 6-24, but every time I look at one the NIGHTFORCE scopes are sitting right next to then.

MY JP 6.5Grendel has a Bushnell Elite 3-12x. Good scope but I had to steal it off another gun. When I get the scratch I'll probably end up getting a XTR-II 3-15 with SCR

Edited by DocMedic

I have one of the first gen 5-20 razors on my 6.5 grendel. I just can't see wanting less magnification avaliable than that. I mean I guess depending on your eyes, the clarity of the glass and the size targets you are engaging you could use less than that...  Sure when the

mirage is bad it will make me dial it back some (as far down as 16 or 12x) but on an 800 or 900 yard rifle I like to be able to see what I am shooting at.

On 10/27/2016 at 10:19 AM, DocMedic said:

MY JP 6.5Grendel has a Bushnell Elite 3-12x. Good scope but I had to steal it off another gun. When I get the scratch I'll probably end up getting a XTR-II 3-15 with SCR

My 6 fat rat has the Burris 3-15x50 XTRII

• 2 weeks later...

I will be the odd man out. I am running a Primary Arms 4x14 with the ACSS reticle. The 308 BDC works great with my 20 inch 6.5 Grendel. Cheap scope but it works. I have used that same scope out 800 yards on a 308.

Depending what your goal is with rifle. If shooting targets and steel at long distances. I would prefer higher magnification but if you or hunting I would prefer lower magnification. I use 2.5 x10 on my ar's. Very flexible, can hit steel all the way out to 600 yards and still use to call in predators. Higher magnification is great for long range and needed for shooting great groups.  Nightforce scopes are great for long range. Their crosshairs are designed for long range. Thin crosshairs allow you to shoot better groups and illuminate so you can see them in low light conditions. 

IMHO if your shooting steel, or actually doing something that just trying to make groups off a bench, don't go overkill with the magnification.  A 2.5-10x, 3-15, 4-16, etc medium zoom range optic or similar magnification range should have you more than covered.  Something with a nice wide field of view, where you can shift along an array of targets, without getting from behind the rifle or breaking cheek weld if possible.  

Rule of thumb seems to be 1x per every 100 yards...  most of your targets will be 2~4 minutes, and a minute is a minute no matter how far, will always be the same size perspectively. Put a 2 inch circle and a 4 inch circle on paper at 100 yards, play around with magnification.  Shoot a position other than off the bench or prone, where your holding the rifle and need field of view to "hunt for your target" thru the scope.  You'll probably find you like somewhere between 4 and 8 power....  And as you start shooting DMR or Practical Competitions you'll be happy you have that lower magnification range, and you probably will rarely ever use the higher.

• 2 weeks later...

Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with G2 reticle. Very good scope with a great reticle.  Awesome for some of the "No Dial"  stages where you're holding elevation and wind. I'm carrying it up to VIR to shoot the 3GN precision match this weekend. 

image.jpg