Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris Fastfire 3 battery life?

GrumpyOne

I have 5 of them (I think) and I have only changed the battery in 3.  They go years on one battery.

Burris is always a tad slower in September and October with hunting season, but they will fix it for you.

I have one that is five years old on the original battery. I shoot three times a week and the dot is on for 2-3 hours each time. I have 4 other FF3s and I've not changed batteries in them either. It's safe to say that you got a lemon.

• 3 years later...

Just had to return my 4th Burris FastFire III for parasitic battery drain.  The first 3 would last a month and die - got a replacement on Jan 25th 2020 and the battery was dead 9 days later!  A real disappointment as I have two firearms I use them on - the ones I bought were bad and the replacements worse.  I left two messages for David Lynch (head of tech at Burris) before I got a call back this time.  My team is going to Vector.  

On 10/27/2016 at 8:08 PM, GrumpyOne said:

Well, juat checked it...it turned on, cycled thru the settings once, dot was dim...then nothing. sending it back to Burris tomorrow

That's a bummer.  All five of mine go years on the same battery.  I now make a habit of changing them once a year.  The first time one went several years before the sight did the triple flash thing to let you know to replace the battery.  I put a new one in and was astonished at how much brighter the dot was.  Evidently it continually gets dimmer as the battery wears down, but so slowly you don't notice.

1 minute ago, zzt said:

That's a bummer.  All five of mine go years on the same battery.  I now make a habit of changing them once a year.  The first time one went several years before the sight did the triple flash thing to let you know to replace the battery.  I put a new one in and was astonished at how much brighter the dot was.  Evidently it continually gets dimmer as the battery wears down, but so slowly you don't notice.

The replacement dot that Burris sent me is still running strong on the original battery...from 11/10/16.

On 2/4/2020 at 3:14 PM, Backseater said:

Just had to return my 4th Burris FastFire III for parasitic battery drain.  The first 3 would last a month and die - got a replacement on Jan 25th 2020 and the battery was dead 9 days later!  A real disappointment as I have two firearms I use them on - the ones I bought were bad and the replacements worse.  I left two messages for David Lynch (head of tech at Burris) before I got a call back this time.  My team is going to Vector.  

Just an update... now returning my FIFTH Burris FastFire (I got suckered into owning two).  I sent in one of the two they replaced in January for me on 2/4 and opened the other to test before mounting - BATTERY IS DEAD after 5 days running 14 hours a day - no where near the hours they say it will run.  So now I’m down two sights while they make me wait a month before they’ll ship me two more.  IMHO BURRIS IS JUNK.  How do I get FIVE sights with parasitic battery drain?  Why won’t the head of tech David Lynch return my calls?  I basically gave BURRIS my money to have NO SIGHTS ON MY GUNS.  They may be good for the range, but I would never recommend BURRIS for an EDC unit - 

I have 4 Burris FF3. I had to send one back because it didn't have enough adjustment for proper zero. Burris worked very well with me and I had a replacement quickly.I originally purchased them because I was able to get them at very good price points like $170 etc.. All have been used on a slide mount application. Never an issue with any of them and battery life is silly long. When I decide to move into the more "big boy"red dots I thought I was making an improvement. I still use the FF3 as a gauge against the others for brightness and consistency with the dot. Not sure why the other ones that cost $500 can't be as bright and reliable. 

I have 4 Burris FF3. I had to send one back because it didn't have enough adjustment for proper zero. Burris worked very well with me and I had a replacement quickly.I originally purchased them because I was able to get them at very good price points like $170 etc.. All have been used on a slide mount application. Never an issue with any of them and battery life is silly long. When I decide to move into the more "big boy"red dots I thought I was making an improvement. I still use the FF3 as a gauge against the others for brightness and consistency with the dot. Not sure why the other ones that cost $500 can't be as bright and reliable. 

Weirdly enough I had to return one for the same reason, they replaced with a NIB model.

12 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I am just amazed you were able to get the battery in, 3 times in a few weeks.
I never did get the battery in the one I had,, returned it.  What a sorry design.  

Very simple, put the cap on, turn backwards slowly with slight pressure. When you feel the threads drop in, turn forward till snug. I have done probably 20-30 in the shop, never once had a problem.

fought with it under a magnifying lamp at my desk, yep did al the usual, the hood blocks it so you can come straight down on it, plus only has a couple of threads. Was impossible to start with the battery in it.  If it was that much of a pain in a pretty decent environment , I couldnt imagine having to do it at a range.  Wouldnt recommend this thing to anyone.

I use sig romeo 1 6moa , mostly. But I've got 2 ff3 and they're solid.

No problems with battery cap .

Dropped gun on sight and hood cracked.  Called told them what I did. They sent a nib replacement,  3 week turn around mail box to mail box.

No bitches here!