Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 single stack issues

Jody Waring

I have been having some feeding issues with my .45 IPSC Classic division pistol. I am using a cast 230gr TC bullet and I am seating them so the shoulder is essentially even with the case mouth. Any longer and the round will not chamber properly as the bullet is hitting the lands. The malfunction is the round is flipping upwards  (bullet first) and not chambering and the slide closes on the round. Are .45s tempermental when it comes to OAL? The other thing that has me thinking is the gun oversprung. I have no idea whats in it, whatever the gunsmith put in it, its heavy so Im assuming a factory weight one. What would a good weight be for a .45 at 170 pf? Im having the same issue with my loads using 200 gr swc's. Any input is appreciated. My dad left me this gun when he passed away and Ive shot it very little. Thanks!

Eric thanks I happen to have a new 14 lb spring, I'll try it. As far as the extractor goes manually cycling the gun it feeds and chambers so smooth you would literally think the gun is empty. I'll try the spring first and go from there. Thanks  guys.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a chance your chamber throat edge -- the edge the round must pivot over in order to enter the chamber -- needs a slight radius and polish.  A sharp edge, which many 1911s have from the factory, isn't optimal for feeding some types of bullets.

If you know how to do this, do it, but if overdone it can remove critical chamber support.

• 2 weeks later...

Try Different magazines. It sounds as though the feed lips may be a little long and are not releasing the rear of the cartridge early enough for it to chamber properly. The length and/or shape of the feed lips (tapered, flared, etc.) will make a difference depending on what bullet you are running. Try RN bullets and see if that is different.

Easiest test is buy a box of factory 230g ammo, if it all cycles fine through you're looking at ammo. when I first started shooting SWC I had a bunch of issues too. My shoulder was even w case mouth because two loading manuals I had the COL ended up w them there. Another competitor uses same bullet type and gave me a few of his to get my seating depth right, issues disappeared. 2000+ rounds through since then w no issue. I'd suspect the 230 TC  try a 200swc you can get the shoulder a little further out

Mags would be my second test. With good mags I haven't had an issue. (Shooting star, power mags, 47d. I prefer the chip overall) Cheap rock island factory mag I had w one gun sucked and gave issues. It's a paperweight now

Red

I have a Ruger SR1911 commander. Will not feed TC or HP rounds reliably.

The 45 1911 is a 230gn RN gun. It's been my experience that's just what it wants. Factory or reloaded.

You also mentioned a 14# recoil spring but nothing about the hammer or mainspring being replaced.

I run a 14# recoil in mine but I also replaced the mainspring with a 17#. It might help the timing of the cycle a little bit.