Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

cz custom magwell for 85

IHAVEGAS

I think I want one but I am worried about how things fit together, any looseness between gun and magwell would make me crazy.

It looks like things are held in position by a friction fit between the aluminum magwell and the steel frame. If you have had one for a while, do they stay put well, particularly after having been taken on and off a few times for cleaning?

mainspring plug pin will hold in place. Have magwell on two guns, tight fit, no shifting.

some fitting may be needed. but pretty easy to install.

no screw in plug to loosen up, etc.

magwell plug.JPG

Edited by eerw

I have one on a 75 Shadow. It works great. I did grind down the pin on the mainspring plug to where it is more of a nub than a pin. It still holds the magwell tightly in place, but it is much easier to get on and off.

Edited by fastlane604

22 minutes ago, fastlane604 said:

I have one on a 75 Shadow. It works great. I did grind down the pin on the mainspring plug to where it is more of a nub than a pin. It still holds the magwell tightly in place, but it is much easier to get on and off.

Does it effect the feel of your grip much? 

Will be going back and forth between a USPSA production gun (75 frame no magwell) and an IDPA gun (cz 85 either set up for esp or ssp). If I thought the magwell would change the way my hands feel on the gun a lot I would probably pass on it and just shoot ssp. 

48 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Does it effect the feel of your grip much? 

Will be going back and forth between a USPSA production gun (75 frame no magwell) and an IDPA gun (cz 85 either set up for esp or ssp). If I thought the magwell would change the way my hands feel on the gun a lot I would probably pass on it and just shoot ssp. 

I have an SP-01 without a magwell and a 75 Shadow with the magwell. I really don't notice much difference. My hands are medium sized and I get a full grip on the magwell gun without overlapping the magwell.  You will need compact grip panels or cut down your full size grip panels to accommodate the magwell.

The CGW magwell is supposed to be out very soon. Might be worth a look. No fitting required. Can be seen on their facebook page.

After watching a friend put the CZC magwell on I am going to avoid it. Took a ton of fitting. Mostly, it only seems to accept the 18 round SP-01 mags with the CZC basepads.

That is a deal killer for me as I have a ton of 16 round factory and 17/19 mecgars.

Not a knock on CZC, love their stuff, but found the expense of this to be huge, when considering the whole shebang. Magwell, fitting, grips, new mags, new basepads, man it adds up quick. His is very very sweet now that it is on though. Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, fastlane604 said:

Wow, Stuart. Those pics could be framed and hung on the wall. 

Is that a stock safety on the Shadow?

Thanks

The safety on the Shadow is a welded up version done by Jim Milks at Innovative Custom Guns. He did this a few years ago.

31 minutes ago, eerw said:

Thanks

The safety on the Shadow is a welded up version done by Jim Milks at Innovative Custom Guns. He did this a few years ago.

I so surmised. One would hope that CZ takes a cue, sooner rather than later, from some of the safety mods that have been done by their customers and make the stock safety a little wider and long enough that we all could activate it from single action.

10 hours ago, NoKimberDave said:

Not a knock on CZC, love their stuff, but found the expense of this to be huge, when considering the whole shebang. Magwell, fitting, grips, new mags, new basepads, man it adds up quick. His is very very sweet now that it is on though. Just my opinion. 

It is amazing how easy it is to end up with more $'s in aftermarket goodies than what you paid for your gun. 

Sometimes it is better to just start buying stuff and not think about it :) . Sort of like making sure that you do not ever know how much of your money was spent on your daughters wedding. 

14 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It is amazing how easy it is to end up with more $'s in aftermarket goodies than what you paid for your gun. 

Sometimes it is better to just start buying stuff and not think about it :) . Sort of like making sure that you do not ever know how much of your money was spent on your daughters wedding. 

Indeed! I do the "not thinking about it" part, lol.

Dang, Stuart, those guns are spectacular.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody made el-cheapo roll your own mag extensions so you could use your existing base plates with a magwell?

Seems like it ought to be easy to figure out a way to superglue a piece of material in place and end up with something that looked good and worked well. 

On 10/24/2016 at 11:04 AM, NoKimberDave said:

The CGW magwell is supposed to be out very soon. Might be worth a look. No fitting required. Can be seen on their facebook page.

After watching a friend put the CZC magwell on I am going to avoid it. Took a ton of fitting. Mostly, it only seems to accept the 18 round SP-01 mags with the CZC basepads.

That is a deal killer for me as I have a ton of 16 round factory and 17/19 mecgars.

That magwell appears for sale on the Springer Precision site for $75.  

I like the magwell as it helps position my hand higher on the gun.

on one of my open guns,and a limited minor gun I shot for short time.

CZ SHadow magwell _0107.jpg

CZ Open_1550 small.jpg

Stuart,

How much is an open gun like that cost? It is cool looking...could that be duplicated as a new build?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/3/2016 at 0:06 PM, ArrDave said:

That magwell appears for sale on the Springer Precision site for $75.  

Yeah, I saw them on there.

They seem to work only with their basepads and the 17 round macgars. If they can make a base for the 16 rounders that extands capacity and works with it I would buy it right now!

But the CZ Custom unit does look a lot better, imo.

16 hours ago, ItsCZas123 said:

Stuart,

How much is an open gun like that cost? It is cool looking...could that be duplicated as a new build?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

this pistol was built by Jimmy Vidanes of 1911 Speed Shop out in California. He would be best source of pricing.

The base gun was a CZ 75B SA 9mm pistol.