Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
DagoRed

How to blacken brass?

Hey guys, I bought some once fired brass recently. Found a handful that look darker, like gunmetal. They aren't steel. Some odd head stamp, characters not English. But I have some with same stamp that are plain brass. 

Anyone know how this was done? Looks great. Don't know how it loads yet

Red

image.png

My first thought is a really harsh wet tumbling solution. I have turned some pretty dark. :)

But to be sure I would still run a magnet through the batch

Gravoxide, liver of sulpfur and Brass Black by Birchwood Casey all work. Thoroughly degrease for best results.

1 hour ago, GrumpyOne said:

Leave it outside in the weather for a few weeks...

That will turn it black, but will it also weaken the brass ... ?

Blackland soil will stain them like that and I have not seen any problems shooting them as long as you don't mind shooting stained brass.

Everything mentioned so far involves a chemical change to the brass which will weaken it to some small degree. Hell, just looking at brass weakens it. You have to decide if it's worth it.

Otherwise you can break out the Sharpie. Or you could try some Rit Dye, I'd be interested in that experiment.

You could use DyeKem to stain it...hell maybe even something like water based walnut wood stain..

Do you shoot in the desert

if not good luck finding any once it hits the dirt 

I've seen black ratchet and socket set for sale while they look cool, I would hate to try to find it the first time you drop one in an engine compartment 

On 10/19/2016 at 1:41 AM, Absocold said:

Gravoxide, liver of sulpfur and Brass Black by Birchwood Casey all work. Thoroughly degrease for best results.

Liver of sulphur...what witch craft is this?  Do I need eyes of newt too?

;)

Exposing it to ammonia fumes will blacken them quickly. It's a technique used to make brass look antiqued. But I'm sure it weakens the brass.

Yeah I have done that. Happened the first couple times I wet tumbled. I just told my buddys I paid extra for the OD Green ammo haha.

I had a couple come through while loading yesterday. I hadn't thought about them being harder to find. They sure look good w green bayou bullets though. 

Red

Per gallon of H2O

add 1T dawn

1/4t lemishine 

Works great if you just run it for 30 min to an hour.  Forget about it and let it run all night though...

Actually, I've come across those cases too, headstamp with writing not in any form of Latin alphabet..  It's not from cleaning.  if i recall it wasn't magnetic either.

I ran across this one in my range pickup a while back, it appears to be a coated nickel plated case.

Black Brass 1.JPG

Black Brass 2.JPG

Black Brass 3.JPG

Black Brass 4.JPG

Exposing it to ammonia fumes will blacken them quickly. It's a technique used to make brass look antiqued. But I'm sure it weakens the brass.

Yes, I've read over the years you don't use vinegar because it will soften/weaken brass.
I wouldn't trust reloading it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:13 PM, rishii said:

Do you shoot in the desert

if not good luck finding any once it hits the dirt 

I've seen black ratchet and socket set for sale while they look cool, I would hate to try to find it the first time you drop one in an engine compartment 

Makes me think of the camo survial knives, you drop it and you will not survive ;)