Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to blacken brass?

DagoRed

Hey guys, I bought some once fired brass recently. Found a handful that look darker, like gunmetal. They aren't steel. Some odd head stamp, characters not English. But I have some with same stamp that are plain brass. 

Anyone know how this was done? Looks great. Don't know how it loads yet

Red

image.png

Everything mentioned so far involves a chemical change to the brass which will weaken it to some small degree. Hell, just looking at brass weakens it. You have to decide if it's worth it.

Otherwise you can break out the Sharpie. Or you could try some Rit Dye, I'd be interested in that experiment.

Do you shoot in the desert

if not good luck finding any once it hits the dirt 

I've seen black ratchet and socket set for sale while they look cool, I would hate to try to find it the first time you drop one in an engine compartment 

On 10/19/2016 at 1:41 AM, Absocold said:

Gravoxide, liver of sulpfur and Brass Black by Birchwood Casey all work. Thoroughly degrease for best results.

Liver of sulphur...what witch craft is this?  Do I need eyes of newt too?

;)

• 2 months later...
Exposing it to ammonia fumes will blacken them quickly. It's a technique used to make brass look antiqued. But I'm sure it weakens the brass.

Yes, I've read over the years you don't use vinegar because it will soften/weaken brass.
I wouldn't trust reloading it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, October 20, 2016 at 1:13 PM, rishii said:

Do you shoot in the desert

if not good luck finding any once it hits the dirt 

I've seen black ratchet and socket set for sale while they look cool, I would hate to try to find it the first time you drop one in an engine compartment 

Makes me think of the camo survial knives, you drop it and you will not survive ;)