Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate with poppel holes

kitestir

I have 2 czechmates. I decided to have 2 poppel holes  angled back put in one  to see how it affected muzzle flip and recoil. 

Here is a video of the CM with poppel holes.

here is a video with my other CM with no holes. 

Put about 70 rounds through it and definitely like it. It has a little less muzzle flip and is not as harsh. It only loses 30-40 fps.  Ammo for both was 7.3 gr of Autocomp. Getting 1490 fps with no hole and 1450 with.....

Edited by kitestir

Looks good.  

Mine were two 5/32 holes in the comp area and then one 3/16 hole right in between the comp and slide. You can check it out in my Czechmate review in the open gun section. Had to open the last one up to fix my hole starting to walk when I started it with a 5/32 haha. 

7 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

But first round off the firing pin stop and increase the stroke :cheers:

ahhhh I've been thinking about increasing the stroke on my CZ open gun but just hate to blindly do it as I've never fired a stroked gun before and I'm not sure how much there is to gain.

8 hours ago, PRanta said:

What is the benefit of increased stroke? I thought as little as possile moving mass and stroke would be the goal.

Stroking the slide does lighten it to some extent, but the real benefit is that the energy of the slide is dissipated over a longer distance of travel, reducing slide speed before it impacts the frame.  I have a bone stock TS with which I plan to create some slow motion videos isolating increased stroke, stay tuned :ph34r:

I think a better analogy would be if you were to drop two eggs from the same distance one impacting the floor and the other landing on a pillow with everything else being equal. Of course the one hitting the hard floor breaks where the one landing on the pillow has the impact slowed and spread out over a distance doesnt break.

This is extreme of course but the idea is the same i believe your just trying to spread the recoil out over longer distance and reducing the slide impact thus reducing muzzle rise.

Not sure how those apply.

I think of it like 2 cars going the same speed both start coasting toward walls.  The stroked slide wall is further away the car slows down and hits the wall with less impact than the other.

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

Not sure how those apply.

I think of it like 2 cars going the same speed both start coasting toward walls.  The stroked slide wall is further away the car slows down and hits the wall with less impact than the other.

Ah, I like this one!

Barrel rise is about the inertia of mass under momentum laws. You can work on the moving part (slide) or the non-moving part (frame), or both. Low mass high speed short stroke slide gives shortest time frame for the barrel to rise (table cloth trick analogy). Here you can see what happens when the stoke is long:

Unfortunately high speed also means high energy and it will be hard for the parts (egg & car suspension analogies). Just pick your goal.

Sorry guys, read this thread because it's interesting to me, sadly I don't get how holes change the stroke, you haven't changed the length of the slide. Wouldn't springs affect this more than the gas diversion? I'd think comps are for recoil control (I've only had comped rifles). 

Can someone exolain it a bit more, um, summed down? I get the net effect comparisons, i.e. The car distance to wall. How do holes add that "distance"

thanks

Red

• 1 year later...

The factory stroke of the Czechmate is 2.000", the factory stroke of a 2011 is 2.115", from what I've been told, Akai strokes his 2011s to 2.315".  My custom TS Open is stroked to 2.440", then I run a buffer which takes back 0.140".  For reference, the stroke of a standard CZ 75 is 1.875".

• 1 month later...
On 4/22/2018 at 6:05 PM, kneelingatlas said:

The factory stroke of the Czechmate is 2.000", the factory stroke of a 2011 is 2.115", from what I've been told, Akai strokes his 2011s to 2.315".  My custom TS Open is stroked to 2.440", then I run a buffer which takes back 0.140".  For reference, the stroke of a standard CZ 75 is 1.875".

I made a mistake here, I believe a stroked 2011 is 2.415".  Factory Tanfoglio stroke is 1.850" BTW.