Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Completely new progressive machine

It would need to be compatible with an auto drive.

i suggest contacting Mark 7.

i suggest reading Steve Jobs biography, try to learn his "user experience oriented, great products" ethic.

Learn from Dillon, their products could be great, but they aren't. They are only decent, and here is why...

pot metal

primers go everywhere (user experience) it drives me nuts that i fixed their priming system with a 223 case and $2 worth of tubing.

you need aftermarket parts to make it run right

instructions are horrible

bullet bin slides off the bracket (this is a symptom of the attitude "we know it sucks, but we aren't going to make it right")

i could go on and on, but the problems with Dillon can all be boiled down to 2 things;

They don't care about making the product great (cheap materials, unwilling to redesign problem areas, stopped innovating)

They don't care about the user experience

Dont be like Dillon.

Good luck

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jmorris said:

Can you name another progressive press that comes with a more detailed manual than the SD, 550, 650 or 1050?  If you can't read they even have a DVD.

Everyone else sucking is no excuse for sucking.

The dvds suck too, they just suck less and cost more.

A lot of detail is not the same as guiding the users to successful usage.

I'll give you an example;

Station 3, if you don't set the white plastic dealio properly then the primer might not seat successfully, might pop the primer and might blow the freaking press up. the proper way to set it is to put a business card between the shell and the white dealio. Does it say peep about that in the instructions.... no.

Edited by aceinyerface

Take a look at page 20 (they have it under station #3 vs #4 where it actiually is but they also call a "collator" a "case feeder") of the manual for primer tab instructions.  Even if you happen to light off a primer you won't "blow up" a 1050.

Edited by jmorris

I started reloading on a single stage press (Lyman) at about age 13. Loaded thousands on that. I loaded 10's of thousands on a 550. And there is nothing about either of those experiences that says to set that part to a business card's width from the case. I do all of my own car repairs, house repairs and build my own fences.

If you need to be more qualified than me to run a 1050, then they shouldn't sell them.

I am loading 10's of thousands on a 1050 w/mk7 currently. Setting the white dealio all the way against the case WILL pop primers. There is no intuitive" anyone else would have known" element to it. The opposite is true, intuition would say. " secure the case as much as possible" and put the white dealio all the way up to the case.

If you haven't seen a pic of a blown primer tube, you are still a noob.

So when I say "the instructions suck" it is not a flip statement, it is not an outsider's opinion, it is a user's educated experience.

Setting the white dealio all the way against the case WILL pop primers

That is not how my manual reads, on page 20, to have the locator tab adjusted.

You could have the best manual in the world and it won't help people that don't read it.

1 hour ago, jmorris said:

That is not how my manual reads, on page 20, to have the locator tab adjusted.

Looking at the instructions for the first time in a long time, I am immediately reminded of the horribleness of it. 3 column walls of text, pics that show nothing, laid out in a difficult to find manner, etc...

It needs more play than that in real life. Maybe with new brass that is all in spec, that would be ok, but with fired brass, you need more play than that.

Business card width, take it to the bank.

The manual is insufficient, the guy trying to build a better press is advised. 

Moving on

Edited by aceinyerface

Thanks, ace, for your input. I understand your frustrations. I appreciate your feedback and have read all your advisements. They echo many things I feel can be improved on with current progressive presses.

I get that instructions should be made thorough and so anyone can follow them no matter what kind of mechanical aptitude they have as well.

I also would hope this doesn't turn into a thread of back and forth explanations of why that's not a real problem and then a response of yes it is. I would like to keep it open to any and everyone who feels something is subpar. Whether that same thing is subpar to someone else matters not. So with that said keep the improvements coming.

18 hours ago, Absocold said:

Be very careful about the sort of things you describe that could be used without recompense. Many inventors have lost out big time from being too open with their ideas.

I'm trying to be as careful as possible. I have heard many stories of stolen ideas. Even stories of companies acting uninterested and at a later date used the very idea they said was not useful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2016 at 0:46 AM, aceinyerface said:

If you haven't seen a pic of a blown primer tube, you are still a noob.

OK, I'll bite... I have been reloading for about 35 years, don't care to count the rounds (typically shoot 10-20K a year, sometimes more) and still have not seen a blown tube.

I guess, I am still a noob...

On November 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM, firewood said:

Is there enough market potential for a new high cost consumer (I assume consumer) grade progressive press from an unknown supplier?

I'm going to try my best to find out. There might still be a chance it doesn't come from an unknown supplier. What if a new high cost consumer press comes from a very well known supplier? That means it most likely will come with a higher price as well though, I'm sure.

Edited by Savageman25

1 hour ago, Reshoot said:

I have introduced new products to the shooting public. It is a very steep hill to climb. I never did have one that found success but, I did not let that keep me from trying!

Thomas Edison once said that he had not failed 10,000 times, but instead had found 10,000 ways that didn't work. 

On Tuesday, November 08, 2016 at 10:15 AM, firewood said:

Is there enough market potential for a new high cost consumer (I assume consumer) grade progressive press from an unknown supplier?

Have you ever seen a Spolar Gold shotgun shell reloader?

http://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Me18e614b0746dffd1b03db3d32606548H0&w=166&h=152&c=8&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=4&pid=1.7

If I am reading the price sheet correctly, the Spolar is about a $2,000 machine.

There are sub $400 MECs that can do the same thing.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:45 PM, Foxbat said:

OK, I'll bite... I have been reloading for about 35 years, don't care to count the rounds (typically shoot 10-20K a year, sometimes more) and still have not seen a blown tube.

I guess, I am still a noob...

Must be...

There are pages of posts just on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Suggestions.

Can you make a press with a convertible deck height, like a Mec loader ?

One setting for a shorter stroke for pistol loading and you can lower the deck for rifle case length capability ?

I would be happy to just have a press the size and with the short stroke of a Square deal B, with the option to add a case/bullet feeder.

While I have been fond of the workout, after 30+ years reloading with all sorts of reloading machines , I'm tired of the long stroke the presses have to accommodate loading rifle length cartridges.

Edited by shoots100

1 hour ago, shoots100 said:

Suggestions.

Can you make a press with a convertible deck height, like a Mec loader ?

One setting for a shorter stroke for pistol loading and you can lower the deck for rifle case length capability ?

I would be happy to just have a press the size and with the short stroke of a Square deal B, with the option to add a case/bullet feeder.

While I have been fond of the workout, after 30+ years reloading with all sorts of reloading machines , I'm tired of the long stroke the presses have to accommodate loading rifle length cartridges.

That's honestly a great idea. Ill have to see if that's even possible with my press.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2016 at 9:48 PM, shoots100 said:

I'm tired of the long stroke the presses have to accommodate loading rifle length cartridges.

I have the Lee Classic Cast Turret.  The lever arm can be adjusted in length for pistol or rifle.

The machanidm is not really complex or expensive looking.

the lee is good, but it's not shortening the stroke it's shortening the lever. So yes your arm travels list distance but you have less lever effect so have to use more force. Shortening the actual travel of the toolhead (or shell plate) means the same amount of effort/force needed but less distance travelled. :)