Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't try so hard

I have a saying I use.  "Shoot like you shoot."  My way of saying don't try too hard.   Just do what you know how to do and how fast you know how to do it.  

All that other shit like finding your limits and going beyond them is for practice. 

Often, during a match RO's will hear me mutter "shoot like you shoot" to myself.  

6 hours ago, Glock26Toter said:

All that other shit like finding your limits and going beyond them is for practice. 

Exactly.  Matches are for shooting to your abilities.  Practice to increase your abilities.

On 10/17/2016 at 11:46 AM, AzShooter said:

As Yoda said.  " Don't try.  Do."

Nothing can be accomplished without effort . . . one must try. 

I do not take advice from a fictional character, in a fictional movie, speaking a fictional line. How is that working out for you?

• 2 weeks later...

The toughest part of thinking is your mag changes (in Canada). Shooting IPSC with high capacity mags, there was a lot less thinking as when you seen the target, you just shoot. With 10 rd capacity, you have to coordinate the changes in between targets. If you have 5 targets and plan a mag change, well if you have a miss and have to shoot that extra round, or if you forget to change in between each target group, it messes your entire stage up. Too much thinking is a major handicap and can be frustrating, but it is a real challenge with limited mag capacity.

• 1 month later...

I find I psyche myself out when I try to compare myself to other shooters in my squad and begin thinking that I need to shoot their pace.  Turns out most of the time consistency wins and I do better when I don't think much about what I need to do.  See target, engage target, move, reload, rinse, wash, repeat.

On 10/17/2016 at 5:01 PM, CraigEcash86 said:

Switching from single stack to limited so I can think less lol

Crazy.....

I swapped from Limited to Single Stack in late September for the exact opposite reason.

I figured the cold wet weather would be a good time to practice stage planning/mag swaps etc....

Now I'm actually classified higher in SS by like 3%.

Ill go back to Limited in February.

Edited by WaJim

• 1 month later...

I took a class with Ben Stoeger once and he shot a stage then had us make a stage plan for him that was very different (still had to be reasonable--we basically had him shoot it the opposite way).  His hit factor was about the same--and the point he was trying to make was that you need to put together a quick plan that makes the best use of your current skills and shoot it.  Worrying about small changes isn't worth the effort.  I have stopped paying attention to other shooters stage plans and just shoot the one I came up with even if it is completely opposite what everyone else is doing.

• 1 month later...

i see seasoned guys in matches laugh at themeselves, loudly, when they screw up.... so for us novices, who cares if you f up?

Edited by Ozy