Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm barrel???

What barrels have you all been using and which have worked well for you?  I'm specifically interested in hearing which barrels have worked well as far as feeding for Glock mag lowers and which barrels have good accuracy.

I currently have a Kaw Valley barrel and had issues with it causing setback and denting bullets from feeding using a New Frontier Glock mag lower so looking for something that'll work better in this area.  Also the chamber on this barrel is really short; I want to be able to use my normal 9mm minor ammo in it and not have to load shorter just for it.

I'm also finding this barrel seems to only like FMJs which is strange.  I previously tried some Xtreme plated and it shot a shotgun pattern at 25 yards.  Plated aren't known for the greatest accuracy, but today I tried some Blue Bullets and it was shooting about 3-4" at 25 yards.  FMJs were more accurate, but again I'd like a barrel that will work with my normal handgun ammo which is all coated lead or plated.

In this game, $200 for a barrel that will likely last you a decade or more of use is a bargain. Theoretically, if you only used coated bullets, you'll probably never need to replace the barrel. You'll probably spend 4x that much in bullet purchases in the 1st year of ownership. ;)

14 hours ago, v1911 said:

In this game, $200 for a barrel that will likely last you a decade or more of use is a bargain. Theoretically, if you only used coated bullets, you'll probably never need to replace the barrel. You'll probably spend 4x that much in bullet purchases in the 1st year of ownership. ;)

This http://faxonfirearms.com/16-taper-9mm-pistol-caliber-carbine-blowback-4150-qpq/

Edited by JetPow

Again, in the world of shooing sports, you'll spend more feeding your toy than building it. I didn't say you would be hard pressed to spend less, just that the amount would be insignificant in the larger scale of things. 

Yeah I know the cost difference between barrels isn't huge in the long run; was just curious if there are other options that are just as good or close to it for less since I'm trying not to sink too much money into PCC.

Is there a better place to order the JP barrel than direct from them?

It looks like the barrel comes in stainless, I'd also be tempted to spend the $50 for the black finish since I don't like the look of a stainless barrel on an AR...further increasing the cost...

1 hour ago, JetPow said:

I heard Faxon makes the Kaw Valley barrel that I already have and am having issues with. I don't know if their own branded barrels are any different.

@Southpaw I have a JP and Faxon which also both have short chambers. With my Xtreme plates bullets, 135gr RNFP loaded at 1.145 OAL they work fine but the coated bullets I'm testing have to be loaded to 1.100 OAL to pass the plunk test. Faxon and Kaw are on the shorter side of the Sammi Specs due to the offset of the bolt face not being consistent with all the different bolts out there. I'm doing some testing on a budget and high-end build on my website now. 

For now I'm loading some short ammo, but I agree Ideally I'd like to run the same exact load in my PCC as I do in my pistol. I could really just run the shorter loads in my pistol, I doubt I'd tell that much difference. Or I can find a bullet profile that works out better. Or lastly have the barrel reamed a little. 

Does the JP barrel have to be used with their own bolt or can I use it with any 9mm bolt? I'm interested in the barrel, but I don't need another bolt.

Marshal, you're saying your JP barrel also has a short chamber? And how was the accuracy of the Xtremes in your Faxon barrel? I've only tried the 124gr Xtremes so far and accuracy was terrible.

I've found the Blue Bullets 135gr TC bullets can be loaded longer and feed the best in mine with the least denting, but accuracy still isn't good.

Does the JP barrel have to be used with their own bolt or can I use it with any 9mm bolt? I'm interested in the barrel, but I don't need another bolt.

i use a psa hybrid bolt with my jp barrel.

Nugget- What upper do you use with your PSA bolt? I assume you have a PSA lower.
On 10/16/2016 at 6:13 PM, Nugget said:

Jp is what you need. It will chamber 147 grain bbi's loaded long, it is accurate and the finish is great. I use it in a psa glock lower upper receiver.

+1 on JP. Using it with a Qtr circle 10 Glock lower. Swallows everything.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem isn't a short chamber it is a short freebore/lead, drop a round in the barrel it should stop on case and spin freely if not, you bullet is hitting the rifling, Use a Clymer 9mm reamer it has a long lead freebore, careful to use a reamer stop you don't want to cut the chamber deeper.