Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended spare parts for matches

After all summer of tweaking things I think I have a setup I like. Im not ready yet to take the plunge and build a backup gun so I am trying to at least get a spare parts list together to get me through as many issues as possible that might pop up at a match. I run a Glock mag fed AR15

So far I am thinking:

Firing pin/spring/retainer

Extractor/spring/pin

^Just get a spare complete bolt maybe

Buffer/buffer spring

Charging handle(already have it)

Complete spare CMore(already have it)

Complete Fire Control Group and safeties(already have it)

Spare Lower parts kit(already have it)

So short of a spare gun, am I missing anything?

Edit for suggested additions:

Proprietary lower parts(mag catch, ejector, ect.)

Edited by Patrick Scott

I noticed the magazine catch assembly on my PSA Glock style lower is made of a plastic or polymer material . 

I contacted PSA about purchasing a spare.  They advised that their website will be modified in the future and it will include more parts.

In the meantime hopefully the plastic part will hold up.  But when available  it is on my list of spare parts to keep on hand . 

4 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I noticed the magazine catch assembly on my PSA Glock style lower is made of a plastic or polymer material . 

I contacted PSA about purchasing a spare.  They advised that their website will be modified in the future and it will include more parts.

In the meantime hopefully the plastic part will hold up.  But when available  it is on my list of spare parts to keep on hand . 

Good call, the mfg of my lower does offer a replacement parts kit for all of their proprietary lower parts. Thanks!

A couple weeks ago another guy on our squad had a case separate on him in the chamber.  Fortunately my wife was also shooting PCC, so we just let him use hers.  A spare gun might not be a horrible idea.  I usually carry a limited pistol for back up to my carry optics gun in case of catastrophic failure.

I broke the OEM firing pin in my NFA bolt at under 500 rounds, and their replacement has worked well since then... I ordered a 9mm Colt firing pin from Brownells, which is identical...about the only thing I carry to a match is the firing pin, and a couple of 2032 batteries for the Vortex

Definitely a firing pin as mentioned above I've heard of bad batches that crack prematurely. I had one break after only like a dozen dry fires and zero actual rounds fired!

A friend just had his extractor crack at a match this past weekend. It seems PSA had a bad batch of those as I've heard of others having the same problem. The nice thing is since it's a blowback it still worked with no extractor, he just couldn't extract a live round at the end of the stage.

Some of the stuff on your list I don't think is needed. I've never heard of a buffer or buffer spring breaking for example. And a spare optic won't be very useful to switch out mid match unless it's already zeroed and the mount will reliably hold zero when removed and reattached, I'm not sure how the Cmore mount is with this. BUIS might be a better option for this to get you through a match if your optic goes down, and can be deployed mid stage if your optic dies.

I like to carry my spare parts all combined in a spare gun ;)

13 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

Definitely a firing pin as mentioned above I've heard of bad batches that crack prematurely. I had one break after only like a dozen dry fires and zero actual rounds fired!

A friend just had his extractor crack at a match this past weekend. It seems PSA had a bad batch of those as I've heard of others having the same problem. The nice thing is since it's a blowback it still worked with no extractor, he just couldn't extract a live round at the end of the stage.

Some of the stuff on your list I don't think is needed. I've never heard of a buffer or buffer spring breaking for example. And a spare optic won't be very useful to switch out mid match unless it's already zeroed and the mount will reliably hold zero when removed and reattached, I'm not sure how the Cmore mount is with this. BUIS might be a better option for this to get you through a match if your optic goes down, and can be deployed mid stage if your optic dies.

I like to carry my spare parts all combined in a spare gun ;)

I plan on building another gun, just not quite yet. I think I may go ahead and pick up a spare bolt, that would cover a few parts all at once and I can just put it in a spare gun once built.

I know some of the other parts are overkill, but I already have them and they really wont affect the amount of stuff I already bring. 

Thanks