Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving from 650 to 1050

I wouldn't even worry about nonsense "upgrades", spend some time on the s1050 will surely bring to light areas that you may feel need improvement, or you will find everything ok and not see a need to start "upgraded" right out of the gate.

Nothing wrong with a stock s1050 for the average reloader. Not to mention you may have to diagnose and troubleshoot issues, which will only be compounded by all the non-factory goodies on your shopping list.

Keep it simple, and upgrade what you feel is actually needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of them could be considered nonsense "upgrades", but some of them are very useful. As it comes from the factory, the shell plate needs some aftermarket help to advance smoothly enough to prevent powder from jumping out of cases. The low mass ball and shell plate bearing kits help a lot with this.

There is also a tool head cam upgrade that helps to prevent cases getting jammed when being placed into the shell plate when you're running at fast speeds.

An upgraded shell plate advance pawl that is *much* stronger than the factory one.

But yeah, some of them are convenience items, like the case feed mirror, but even that one I don't think should be considered nonsense, really.

Edited by Phlier

19 hours ago, AbitNutz said:

A 1050 runs $1750 and the GSI another $700. I'm not sure what other do-dads you can add to a 1050. The 650 has a myriad of roller bearings and other widgets people have invented. By the time it's outfitted and shipped I'm looking at about $2500.00 more or less. Say I decided I was going to shoot 9mm. Assuming you get the brass for free, which is very likely, you could probably get the cost down to $2.50 for a box of 50. The cost to break even is close to, what? 17,000 rounds? That's the cost of the machine plus your consumables. That would be about 325 rounds a week for a year. That is certainly a do-able figure many folks, some folks, maybe not so much. Me? I'm on the edge. 

Curious how you are getting the .05 a round figure. The primer is .03, the powder is .02. Are you assuming the bullets are free? I.e. Spending a ton of time getting lead from berms or tire weights and casting your own? 

On 10/15/2016 at 0:24 PM, Phlier said:

A permanent 50% price drop on caliber conversion kits and tool heads.

Yah got that right driver. I'd love to go to the 1050 just for giggles and grins. But I've got 11-12 different conversion kits for the 650, all on their own tool head, I'd have to buy to catch up with my 650. That would take a lot of years to load to pay that bill. Going to have to stick with my 650. I'm not doing this professionally. I'm busy enough just keeping up with my two boys and me.