Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post your favorite match videos that you watch to learn techniques

andersonj55126

The best guys are too fast. Filmed from the back of the stage you can't see what's going on too well and filmed from a body/head cam the field of view is too narrow and they're just too fast to learn much. I learn a lot more by watching newer/slower shooters and figuring what needs work and seeing the mistakes.

Really wishing someone would put a stationary camera up high so you're looking at a 40 degree or so downward angle into the stage showing the whole layout as it's being run.

YouTube channel names (all Ms or GMs)

Ben Stoeger

Alex Gutt

Jorge Ballesteros

Andrew Hong

Super-tactical.com (Matt Olinchak)

James Turnure

Tim Herron Shooting

Charlie Perez (CHA-LEE)

ThumblessKorean (Hwansik Kim)

gunrobot

yleegm

NilsJonasson

W. Tyler Turner

Wyatt John McNeill

Nick Yanutola

Kincaid Ross

Casey Reed

Rob Leatham

Max Michel

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, Absocold said:

The best guys are too fast. Filmed from the back of the stage you can't see what's going on too well ...

This is where someone slaps in the obligatory  BEnos-isms:

"Learn to see more."

"See what you need to see."

I find the most helpful thing is to mentally filter out the stage and targets. I try to focus only on the guy and the gun... Look how early he had his gun up... Look how he loaded up on his left leg to explode out of that position as soon as he fired his last shot... Etc.

You won't learn to hit targets more quickly from watching YouTube. But you can learn to move in & out of positions and stay low and how fast you should be pushing yourself to get those reloads done. All of that can be applied to your own practice, and you can film yourself until you're "too fast to see on video" too.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 hours ago, Absocold said:

The best guys are too fast. Filmed from the back of the stage you can't see what's going on too well and filmed from a body/head cam the field of view is too narrow and they're just too fast to learn much. I learn a lot more by watching newer/slower shooters and figuring what needs work and seeing the mistakes.

Really wishing someone would put a stationary camera up high so you're looking at a 40 degree or so downward angle into the stage showing the whole layout as it's being run.

I really like the way CHA-LEE films his videos.  The camera goes with him and does a pretty good job of keeping the action in frame.  Some times due to the course (hallways) or the RO's position the action gets blocked, but most of the time it's pretty clear.  You can also adjust the speed of the video, lower right hand corner under settings.

From a knowledge standpoint I would say this channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-5BRiAN6ZNPEz7Qrpq3bjw would be the most helpful.

Tactical Performance Center has a bunch of videos demonstrating what they teach and why they teach it.

I learned almost everything I know now from Ben Stoegers channel, and Nils Jonassons channel. In fact I still watch them to figure out what I can work on.

• 3 weeks later...