Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open gun 9 Major

Chevy

I just took delivery last week of a DVC Open 9mm. Before firing a shot I had Cree Custom Guns install and fit an aftec extractor and a Cheely mount with a deltapoint pro. I then picked a random Load to start with on the low end of what everyone says they're loading... it's run like a top for 755 rounds. I have had exactly one malfunction (which cost me a stage zero at the last local- my first open match!) but that was ammo not gun. I failed to properly crimp the rounds and a bullet literally came out of the case in the magazine and then caused a doozy of a malfunction that did not allow me to finish. Again this is ammo- not gun. I checked and found several other bullets that would literally fall out of the cases. Chalk that up to me being an idiot.

Upon a check over I was told the overall fitting of the gun was good, and I can say that I'm pretty happy with the trigger. I'm happy with my purchase at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just took delivery last week of a DVC Open 9mm. Before firing a shot I had Cree Custom Guns install and fit an aftec extractor and a Cheely mount with a deltapoint pro. I then picked a random Load to start with on the low end of what everyone says they're loading... it's run like a top for 755 rounds. I have had exactly one malfunction (which cost me a stage zero at the last local- my first open match!) but that was ammo not gun. I failed to properly crimp the rounds and a bullet literally came out of the case in the magazine and then caused a doozy of a malfunction that did not allow me to finish. Again this is ammo- not gun. I checked and found several other bullets that would literally fall out of the cases. Chalk that up to me being an idiot.

Upon a check over I was told the overall fitting of the gun was good, and I can say that I'm pretty happy with the trigger. I'm happy with my purchase at this point.

To be noted, this is my first experience with an open gun so I'm far from an expert. It's fun as hell tho!

This has been hashed out a lot in threads recently. They run well for some people, plan on adding at least an aftec extractor. Hope you aren't one of the unlucky ones whose slide cracks. 

Now if it were me, I'd buy a CK instead. You can get a CK with a slide ride for the same $$$ as a DVC. They have aftec extractors, Dawson ice magwell, egw trigger parts, and better quality control (fit and finish is better). Shooters connection as well as a couple other retailers have them in stock. They aren't as blingy but it's more gun for your $$$

I second MHitchcock's suggestion.  Get a CK Arms.  Mine runs like a typewriter right out of the box.  So much so that when I did have an issue, it was so obvious, that the entire squad I was shooting with was as shocked as I.  The issue turned out to be a relatively rare occurrence of having a broken Aftec spring and 2 weeks later the Aftec itself.  And get this! CK is covering that broken part.  

CK Arms will give you great service and you won't regret the purchase if you go this route.

I have little to no experience with the DVC other than one guy I see regularly shooting one cannot get it to run.  9 major.  Not sure gun, mags, ammo.  I let him use my mag and what ammo I had and it worked.  I use MBX mags exclusively, his were STI.  So that might rule out the gun.  Just letting you know my exposure and what I have seen with one DVC.

molson

Not quite sure why all the people with no experience with the guns give an opinion. My DVC 38 super ran great out of the box. Did add an Aftec & changed the ejector after about 2K rounds rather than re-tune the extractor that came with the gun. Now it has taken a little time to get the load & mags figured out, but that is my in-experience with these guns not the gun. I ran 100 rounds of 9mm and 38 super thru it last night at the range. It likes the STI mags and MBX's. Both run well. I am at about 3500 rounds of major. It takes some learning.

Like it so well my son just got his DVC 9mm 3-gun pistol yesterday and it ran about 300 rounds perfect right out of the box last night at the range. He shot various loads and all ran including using my STI 140mm 38 super mag with stock guts and no spacer or 9mm follower using factory 9mm ammo and our loads.

I shoot with several guys who have DVC open guns in 9 & 38 and all run well. I think it is a great value. With mags & holster I have about the same as just buying another brand.

gerritm

Not quite sure why all the people with no experience with the guns give an opinion. My DVC 38 super ran great out of the box. Did add an Aftec & changed the ejector after about 2K rounds rather than re-tune the extractor that came with the gun. Now it has taken a little time to get the load & mags figured out, but that is my in-experience with these guns not the gun. I ran 100 rounds of 9mm and 38 super thru it last night at the range. It likes the STI mags and MBX's. Both run well. I am at about 3500 rounds of major. It takes some learning.

Like it so well my son just got his DVC 9mm 3-gun pistol yesterday and it ran about 300 rounds perfect right out of the box last night at the range. He shot various loads and all ran including using my STI 140mm 38 super mag with stock guts and no spacer or 9mm follower using factory 9mm ammo and our loads.

I shoot with several guys who have DVC open guns in 9 & 38 and all run well. I think it is a great value. With mags & holster I have about the same as just buying another brand.

gerritm

Oh ya forgot about mags. Mine also has run great with MBX mags as well as the factory mags. Probably a majority of my rounds have been thru the mbx but I just shot 200 rounds on Tuesday with only stock Sti mags and it was without fail.

32 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Not quite sure why all the people with no experience with the guns give an opinion. 

I went through the same dilemma as the OP and went a different direction. As I said the DVCs run well for some people, you are obviously one of them. 

At the same price point why isn't it pertinent to let him know about a CK? You get upgraded parts -egw trigger group, Dawson magwell, titanium comp, and aftec extractor. The guns are made on a smaller scale than STI. The QC is better, and I don't have to worry about cracking my slide and being out of a gun for weeks/months. 

Please let me know what I'm wrong about here or if I am missing something. I'm not saying that the DVCs aren't a good factory pistol, they are. I just said if it were my money I would (and did) spend it differently. 

first time out with my dvc 38 super it malf'd all over the place.  cleaned it thoroughly and it's been 100% since, including with stock sti 140s and 170s, although i did recently change internals to grams with dawson base pad.  as with sti's, i've seen some ck's with issues so no brand is immune.

I have had a STI DVC for a year and a half.. had one problem which STI fixed ... only mod I did to my DVC 9 Major is .. changed the scope mount to a upright mount... If you use mixed fired brass there is no way to insure every piece of brass is 100%... which can cause a jam..  after changing my DVC to the upright mount my gun has run 100%...  STI warranties their guns  100% ... price point between CK & STI  .. is   NOT THE SAME PRICE POINT    !!!!

6 minutes ago, cecil said:

. price point between CK & STI  .. is   NOT THE SAME PRICE POINT    !!!!

You're right. STI DVC is approx. $3,600 on GunBroker and the CK Arms is $3,500 on Shooters Connection... Huh?

I have a DVC Limited for about a year which was why i bought a DVC Open in 38 SC. I honestly love them both. they came ready to run out of the box and I've had no issues with either gun. I run Aftec exctrators in both and use MBX mags with them. 

2 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

You're right. STI DVC is approx. $3,600 on GunBroker and the CK Arms is $3,500 on Shooters Connection... Huh?

I paid $3200 on GB for mine.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

My 9mm DVC open runs fine and is completely stock. I debated on the CK but I am happy with the DVC so far in the 1000 rounds through it. My opinion is it runs fine and doesn't need to be all tweaked and massaged from the start. I wonder how many problems are people replacing parts before they really shoot the guns. 

That's probably a good portion of the problems. That and first time open shooters. My argument is not that the DVCs don't/can't run. It's that for the same money, the CK is more pistol (better parts etc).

I'm sure that the OP would be more than happy with a DVC.

3 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

That's probably a good portion of the problems. That and first time open shooters. My argument is not that the DVCs don't/can't run. It's that for the same money, the CK is more pistol (better parts etc).

Just looking for ideas as I'm going to go down this path soon... I have a connection to get a DVC open for 3-400 less than the CK. In the long run that 400 bucks is nothing.

Edited by Gman57

If you're serious about shooting open I think the options in this realm are Trubor or CK. A DVC is the exact same gun as a Trubor just with extra money for the flash. Both are factory fit and use the same parts. If you want a step up get the CK. It is much more gun for the dollar. EGW fire controls, hand fit, aftec, and the list just goes on. They seem to need warranty work less and when they do it's minor and done promptly. 

One of the best quotes I've seen on here was"it's not if a sti slide will crack its when". I bought a Dvc back when they first came out because it was a good value after it spend more time back with STI then it did in my possession I got rid of it. Yes I have heard of Dvc's that run out of the box and some that didn't. A friend just got his back after they replaced a cracked slide and runs fine now that he changed to a 90 mount, changed extractor, tuned mags and the ejector. Welcome to the open gun madness!