Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

backup gun

bigstick0000

I have a 5 inch primary open gun, Cameron.  my backup gun is a 6 inch gun. both open cmore, primary chromos at 173 and backup at 170 pf.  Question is if I go to 6 inch because my 5 breaks would that be allowed?  I don't see a significant advantage.  3 other ROs don't know either.    thanks

No problem

5.1.7 Competitors must use the same handgun and type of sights for all courses of fire in a match. However, in the event that a competitor’s original handgun and/or sights become unserviceable or unsafe during a match, the competitor must, before using a substitute handgun and/or sights, seek permission from the Range Master who may approve the substitution provided he is satisfied:

5.1.7.1 The substitute handgun satisfies the requirements of the relevant Division.

5.1.7.2 In using the substitute handgun the competitor will not gain a competitive advantage.

5.1.7.3 The competitor’s replacement handgun and its appropriate ammunition must be chronographed per Rule 5.6, regardless of whether or not the original handgun was previously tested.

I think it'd be fine but the RM will be the one to satisfy. I was shooting a Glock 35 Limited gun in a major once and started having issues so I asked if I could use my 2011 Limited gun to finish the match. The RM concluded that if the 2011 were an advantage then why would I have started with the Glock instead. Just my experience. Don't forget to go back and chrono the backup gun!

Yes, that's fine. No issues, especially in open. If your gun is broken and you replace it with a mother gun legal for the division no one is going to give you a hard time

If you were switching back and forth all day depending on the stage that might be a problem.

13 minutes ago, Kraj said:

Yes, that's fine. No issues, especially in open. If your gun is broken and you replace it with a mother gun legal for the division no one is going to give you a hard time

If you were switching back and forth all day depending on the stage that might be a problem.

Is a "mother" gun a significant advantage? :P

Something similar happened at a major match recently. The match director, who did a fantastic job throughout the match with a bunch of other things, gave a very straightforward, no bullshit response. He look at both guns for about 2 seconds, looked the shooter right in the eye and said, "Yep, it's an open gun." If your gun legitimately breaks at a match, the last thing I'd want to happen to you as a competitor is to HAVE a backup you can't shoot. As long as it satisfies the open division requirements, you're well within the rules as others have pointed out.