Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on RO classes

jeffm_norcal

So a question for those who might have some insight.  I shoot both IDPA and USPSA, and have for about two years.  Since I tend to really geek out on things generally, I shoot a lot.  Since I am a bit hyper, I wanted to start RO-ing just to mix things up a bit on downtime, plus get better on rules.  Did NROI first, and it was really strait forward.  The requirements and a list of dates and locations of classes were on the NROI site, took the class, passed the test, had a great time.  Knowledgeable instructor, nice people, learned a lot, in general a very positive experience.  IDPA next I thought.  The local SOI is a super nice guy who has a lot going on in his life right now and isn't running any classes, so I emailed a couple of the other nearby SOIs.  This is where it gets a bit odd.  I start hearing all this talk about "mentorship" and "having a sponsor", and no real answer on classes.  It seems a bit arbitrary and I am wondering if this is normal?  I get it that there should be requirements, but it seems very opaque, especially compared to NROI.  Why all the mystery and finger waggling?  Or have I just happened onto some strange personality issues?  

57 minutes ago, racknrider said:

In my area, when enough members show interest in taking the SO class, one of the local MDs will contact the area SOIs and set up a class. 

^^This has been my experience as well.

Our club happens to have an SOI. So when we have enough shooters that meet the requirement and show the interest, a class is held. 

9 hours ago, jeffm_norcal said:

So a question for those who might have some insight.  I shoot both IDPA and USPSA, and have for about two years.  Since I tend to really geek out on things generally, I shoot a lot.  Since I am a bit hyper, I wanted to start RO-ing just to mix things up a bit on downtime, plus get better on rules.  Did NROI first, and it was really strait forward.  The requirements and a list of dates and locations of classes were on the NROI site, took the class, passed the test, had a great time.  Knowledgeable instructor, nice people, learned a lot, in general a very positive experience.  IDPA next I thought.  The local SOI is a super nice guy who has a lot going on in his life right now and isn't running any classes, so I emailed a couple of the other nearby SOIs.  This is where it gets a bit odd.  I start hearing all this talk about "mentorship" and "having a sponsor", and no real answer on classes.  It seems a bit arbitrary and I am wondering if this is normal?  I get it that there should be requirements, but it seems very opaque, especially compared to NROI.  Why all the mystery and finger waggling?  Or have I just happened onto some strange personality issues?  

Screw all that noise. USPSA all the way.

When the process works right, there is an SO application form that needs to be filled out by the applicant.  It is sort of a shooting resume, and it asks for references of someone that knows the shooter, sponsors the shooter and supports the shooter becoming an SO.  It also asks about local and sanctioned matches attended or worked and some other stuff.  The SOI is supposed to verify the applicant's potential to be an SO.  Not everyone is cut out to be an SO.

There's an online test that needs to be taken before somebody takes an SO class.

In addition, attached pic is part of the application I've seen for the current process (after you've taken the online test)... pretty much what Ken describes.  Not something tribal...

SOapp.png

42 minutes ago, Jane said:

There's an online test that needs to be taken before somebody takes an SO class.

In addition, attached pic is part of the application I've seen for the current process (after you've taken the online test)... pretty much what Ken describes.  Not something tribal...

SOapp.png

Agreed not tribal. But mostly irrelevant for sure.

• 5 weeks later...

Inconsistency is normal across IDPA,  we have similar problems to you in our area with our SOI,  Gathers info for a class, then flakes when people show interest.  Other SOI also claims to never have time, funny as to why he became an SOI and continues to be one, but never has time to do the job he said he could do.   

2 hours ago, chb119 said:

Inconsistency is normal across IDPA,  we have similar problems to you in our area with our SOI,  Gathers info for a class, then flakes when people show interest.  Other SOI also claims to never have time, funny as to why he became an SOI and continues to be one, but never has time to do the job he said he could do.   

Have you reached out to your Area Coordinator?

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 0:56 PM, freeidaho said:

When the process works right, there is an SO application form that needs to be filled out by the applicant.  It is sort of a shooting resume, and it asks for references of someone that knows the shooter, sponsors the shooter and supports the shooter becoming an SO.  It also asks about local and sanctioned matches attended or worked and some other stuff.  The SOI is supposed to verify the applicant's potential to be an SO.  Not everyone is cut out to be an SO.

This is probably the first time in the last decade that I have agreed with Freeidaho. As a IDPA Master and a trophy-winning competitor from their first World Championship, down though several Nationals, Regionals, and State Championships, (as well as a former certified SO from 2007 until Joyce took over with her computer re-cert that my dial-up computer could not handle, so I said the heck with it)... I have seen far to many SOs who "joined last week" and now want to run squads.

That seldom works. There should be some level of experience and time in the sport before one starts running squads. Just MHO.