Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Johnbu's range diary

johnbu

33 minutes ago, johnbu said:

I found that rolling the elbows outward (slightly) allows for a LOT MORE inward palm to palm pressure on the gun. 

I'm glad that tip worked for you, as I find it to be immensely helpful for me. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Ha!

I failed to fail on the classifier today.

09-02 diamond cutter.  ran it pretty decent.Last shot delayed as i found the dot on white and didn't hit it until it was right.  9.75hf. Just into M. First for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting ready for MN championship this Sunday. (First L2)

Did 2 matches over the weekend and a 2 stage last night.

Still need to be slightly smoother shooting on the move and use more visual patience.

• 3 months later...

Have been focused on reload and why it is such a bother. 

I'm finding my mag hand  is moving too fast and not getting a consistent grasp on the new mag.  so, much repetitions at slow speed to groove the motion.

We had a nice day, so did a couple hundred rounds of live fire.  started with transition drills at 10 yds. Then shooting on the move from 15 to 10 yds. Then 20 to 10 yds. 

Then 20 yd transition drills.

Then moved out to 50 yds freestyle. Then 35 yds strong hand only

then 20yds weak hand only.

Then some 20 yd draw, reload to weak hand only.

Some 20 yd upper A zone transitions.

Ended with the last 25 rounds doing draw - 1 shot drills pushing the fastest speed that stayed in the A zone.

Sadly, a visit to the Dr ... yep weak elbow tendonitis is acting up (again).

So, taking my own advice and set up a camera on my weakness.... reloads.

Here i am, cold going flat out full speed. Which sounds good....but, it didn't work. Nor did the following attempts.  doh!!

So, i did a dozen or more at slow speed (off camera) and redid it at 80-% or so.

That's a bit better, but still rough around the edges.

Also did some reloads and "6 shots" on targets to see how well the gun is held steady.

• 7 months later...

Long time no write.  (my bad)

Ups and downs have occurred.  Tendonitis in the left elbow continues to limit training time to 20-30 min at max.  The youth team I coach took every weekend until early June. They did great at the state match, 3 squads earned 1st place and 3 squads finished 2nd place. 

Shooting steel challenge.   Made A class in CO.  Pretty happy about that.  Still need to see more while shooting as there are a few make up shots on targets I hit the first time.

USPSA  had 2 matches so far.  First one sort of sucked.  2nd one I shot better and finished 7th overall.  Had a stage win on the classifier... only to have it thrown out for being set up incorrectly.  LOL, just my luck. 

Primary areas for improvement are still stage execution and reaching that "calm mind" state while running the stage.  Too easy to get overly excited and mess up. 

Work on time thru all the stages has been paying dividends.  2nd match I was 2nd fastest time, only 4 seconds behind our local 19 year old GM.  Considering I'm 3x his age... pretty good showing.  Now to keep the speed and increase the number of A's .