Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing Visualization

David Benzick

I have been kept away from the range lately by a very extensive fencing project.  On the bright side, I have driven a few thousand nails (no nail gun) over the last two weekends, which has given me an opportunity to practice visualization skills.

Just as in shooting, I would get into a zone and seem to drive the nails efficiently and without missing, with a regularity that would cause me to take notice.  Once I took notice, I would start to miss.  To get back into the zone, I practiced visualization techniques.  I tried to aquire a mental piture of the hammer closing on the nail head.  I also tried to focus on how the hammer feels driving through the nail towards the wood.

What I learned is that while I was able to aquire sharper mental images with practice, lasting efficient nailing was elusive because I had a hard time not thinking about it consciously.

The best news is that the project is finished so I can practice visualization while shooting.  

David,

Good post. I cultivate visualization at every opportunity. Loading ammo, throwing rocks, opening a door, hammering (is a favorite), sticking stamps on envelopes, driving, working on this computer (mouse-eye coordination), walking, etc. You just can't "be there and be gone" enough...

be

• 4 weeks later...

something similar hapend to me, I was siting in my car in a parking lot and watching other cars, so i start watching the licence plates, and i realize that if i look at it realy fast (like a flash sight) i could  write the number inmediatly on a peace of paper  without knowing what i was writing. I wasn´t councious becasue i didn't think of what i saw, i just wrote it. Then i check what i wrote with the lisence plates and was allways correct. This really scared me!!