Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Comp for 9mm

30 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I'm sticking with a bird cage until someone industrious does a live fire comparison and writes it up.

I wonder if Patrick K is watching?

Yeah, conventional wisdom says they don't do much. I like the YHM SLANT personally as it would match my forearm

LOL.

PCCs are known for making a ton of gas so find the largest comp you can find, or dont use one at all.... I can't tell the difference because I'm a grown ass man shooting pistol off my shoulder.

Seen a lot of JPs on PCCs at the last couple matches. When I was buying parts, I got the  YHM 5C2 9mm Comp/flash hider. It was the cheapest thing I found that looked better than the A2 style birdcage. At the slower speeds most people are shooting PCC ammo (production loads), I don't think a comp is really needed. Ill play around with loads and/or buffers & springs to take out some recoil if needed. 

2 hours ago, six-gun shooter said:

Sounds like a comp doesn't give much benefit on a 16" barrel, but would it be worthwhile on an SBR? My 8.5" barrel just arrived. I'm eyeing the JP. 

If you look at a pressure curve for 9mm that gives you an idea of what a comp has to work with at different barrel lengths. I don't know how much it woild do at 8.5", but would likely be more than it does at 16". 

10 hours ago, Alan550 said:

If a comp works, even minimally, on a .22  it should have some effect on a 9mm.

And that was my thought, but it appears that may not be the case. So, I'll shoot the gun "As a grown-ass man" and see how it works before threading the barrel.

Edited by UFO
12 minutes ago, bflager10 said:

Might want to check out Tiger Rock Inc they have a couple nice looking 9mm comps.

http://tigerrockinc.com/Other-Rifle-Platforms/AR9mm

Thanks.  I like it.  I actually have something similar from JP.  However, I've decided to go with a Quarter Circle 10 1/2x28.  A lot of the 9mm comps (like this one) seem to be threaded for the 1/2x36. 

2 hours ago, mhearn said:

Thanks.  I like it.  I actually have something similar from JP.  However, I've decided to go with a Quarter Circle 10 1/2x28.  A lot of the 9mm comps (like this one) seem to be threaded for the 1/2x36. 

1/2 X 36 helps prevent putting a 5.56 break on a 9mm I would guess

On October 11, 2016 at 0:07 AM, Darqusoull13 said:

For a 16" barrel, pick one for the looks. There's a minimal amount of gas unless you run upwards of ~150 PF using lighter bullets in a 5" SBR. 

I liked the look of my JP until my Omega 9k comes in to protect the threads :ph34r:

Nice.. I'm getting mine tomorrow, paperwork finally approved on it. 

I've been using some 115gr ammo with the bird cage and another suppressor.  The ammo is about 135pf and even without a brake it doesn't move....  Out of a 10" SBR

Edited by RecoilJunkie