Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme 200gr Plated RN Velocity Problems

resortboarder

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I've loaded Xtreme 200gr SWC over 4.9gr of TiteGroup @ 1.230" with great accuracy at 167 PF.

I decided to try some Xtreme 200gr Plated RN @ 1.240" but have seen HUGE swings in velocity (+/-40 FPS), and random tumbling.  I've tried 4.9gr (154.2 PF) of Titegroup up to 5.4gr to finally achieve an avg 827 FPS (165.4 PF), but the velocity swings are terrible and 5.4gr of TG is WAY too hot. I'm getting lead spirals on close targets, so I know the heat is vaporizing the lead.

Any recommendations or suggestions for other powders and/or load data would be much appreciated.

Notes: Large CCI pistol primers, I've tried crimping less/more. Firearm is a Springfield Loaded Target .45 government 1911. I shoot 180gr Plated RN .40 over 4.7gr of Titegroup @ 1.180" with +/- 15 FPS velocities.

Thanks in advance.

I load 200 LSWC's to 1.245", but when I tried X Treme 200 plated RN I was back to 1.190"-1.200" to get them to plunk in the same barrel.

Edited by TDA
Typo on the LSWC dimension

1 hour ago, Cherokeewind said:

Sounds like the bullet may be seated too far out..........why did you change the COL?

Just to clarify, these are .45ACP 200gr Plated RN bullets, not .40S&W. 1.240" was the shortest I could go without crimping into the ogive. 

1 hour ago, TDA said:

I load 200 LSWC's to 1.145", but when I tried X Treme 200 plated RN I was back to 1.190"-1.200" to get them to plunk in the same barrel.

Sorry. See note above. Ill edit my post to clarify .45 tomorrow. 

8 hours ago, resortboarder said:

Just to clarify, these are .45ACP 200gr Plated RN bullets, not .40S&W. 1.240" was the shortest I could go without crimping into the ogive. 

Sorry. See note above. Ill edit my post to clarify .45 tomorrow. 

Well, I had a typo as well.as a bad memory!

I was loading the LSWC's at 1.245" and needed to load the 200 plated RN to 1.235"

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:57 AM, TDA said:

Well, I had a typo as well.as a bad memory!

I was loading the LSWC's at 1.245" and needed to load the 200 plated RN to 1.235"

That makes sense. The LSWC's seem to like a certain length depending on the shoulder. OAL ends up being however long the cone is. Like Blue Bullets use a longer cone than Xtreme (both 200gr SWC).

The 200gr Xtreme .45 Plated RN have very little side wall. Once I seated them to 1.240", the case mouth was almost hanging beyond the ogive. If I were to go any shorter, I imagine my crimp might drastically effect pressures & velocities.

• 4 weeks later...

I seat Xtreme 200gr RNs to 1.265". At this depth the entire shank of the bullet is inside of the case and the start of the ogive is at the case mouth. If they are seated any deeper the crimp will be on the ogive which will play hell with headspacing. Measure the bullet diameter at the case mouth when seated to 1.240". It will be less than .451". 

I get excellent accuracy with this bullet out of my Tanfos. My current pet load is 5.0gr of WST with CCI300 primers. I have not chronoed this load. Accuracy was so outstanding the first time out I've just stuck with this load and never been disappointed. Hodgdon's max with a 200gr bullet is 5.1gr so I'd imagine that it is making major.

I use the Lyman M die to expand and a custom RCBS seating stem cut specifically for this bullet to seat. Having the bullets seated straight makes for more accurate ammo. I crimp separately with the Lee FCD. Half a turn down gives a perfect taper crimp every time.

I"ve noticed plated bullets take as much powder as jacketed many times.  A 40 f/s spread is not a bad deal.  As long as it's accurate and doesn't do any other funny things, like over pressure or occasional real light load, it's ok.

I used up to 5.5 titegroup with Ranier 200 RN 1.245" OAL & taper crimped at .468 at 850+ f/s and they usually had 50+f/s spreads.  They were ok, fed good and accuracy was ok.  But the recoil was harder and accuracy was less than a 200 Coated SWC with Clays. 

Edited by pskys2