Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aftec Extractor(s) to run 38 Super and 38SC

ScottieShootz

Not starting a who/why/what/how come thread:

Building a new open gun, my practice ammo is 38 Super Auto and my match is 38SC from atlanta arms, the extractors are in question.  I know some people have gotten away with running the same extractor and its worked for both rounds. (it's a big savings running Super for practice only but I'd like to run SC for the extra round/mag reliability for matches.)

My question is: which extractor should I buy to see if it will run both S and SC before jumping to buy one of each extractor and swapping them.  I haven't read anyone's post that said which extractor they had in the gun.

Do I buy the SuperComp extractor and see if that will run both?

Cheers!

Edited by ScottieShootz

I bought a used 38SC with an Aftec.  I wanted it for a backup to my 38 Super, so tried 38 Super in the gun with the Aftec.  It wasn't reliable with Super until I took a few thousandths off the hook of the extractor.  Now it runs Super and SC equally well. I'd go for the 38 Super Aftec for your purposes.

Back when they first originally "Aftec"came out you had to open up the  extractor hole in the slide to fit them, do you still have to do that with the new ones  ? 

The beauty of Aftec is in its self-adjustability.  The limit is - if the hook is too long then the extractor will hit dead stop on the right (looking from the shooter's position", but still not have enough clearance for the 38Super round to slide under.  In that case the hook would need to be reduced some. 

I use the 9/38 SC Aftec and only shoot super comp brass, but it will feed super brass without problems, thats the pro of this design.  Check to make sure the extractor head doesn't hit the barrel extractor grove/slot when locked up ( depending on the barrel )  If it does, file or grind the extractor head for clearance.  Once properly fit, I find these extractors very reliable, BUT, they do need removal to clean the extractor tunnel  periodically or you may get issues.

16 hours ago, tmz said:

Back when they first originally "Aftec"came out you had to open up the  extractor hole in the slide to fit them, do you still have to do that with the new ones  ? 

No alteration of the slide on my STI was necessary for  either the 38 or 38SC/9mm extractors.

17 minutes ago, grantwoodok said:

No alteration of the slide on my STI was necessary for  either the 38 or 38SC/9mm extractors.

Thanks so much for the info !