Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC specific loads/bullet weight

On my PSA barrel using 147gr Xtreme RN bullets I dropped one into the chamber and it measured max 1.105" AOL.  Loaded some to 1.095" and they would not spin.  Decreased it to 1.085" and they seem to fit.  Currently shooting these at 132 PF.

Repeated the measurements with 147gr and 160gr RN coated bullets.  Dropped the OAL to way too short and they still would not spin.

At this point I know reaming the leade will allow longer plated bullets or but do not know if it will help with any coated bullets.  Others on the forum have had success.

I'll just go ahead and shoot what I got and make sure the next barrel comes competition ready.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

Not at all.....brass is coming out good....and not far.

We had a friend there with a 7.5 ounce buffer and 308 spring......seemed clunky with his 147 reloads. Switched it out to a ULW and a tubbs flat wire spring, he did not want to take it back out.

I mean......look at the sub2000, it has a 1 pound bolt and no buffer.....one of the smoothest running 9mm's I've handled to date, so we are mimicking that. And our rifles are running smooth.

Personally, I think that this summer we are going to see guys with broken bolts and mashed up barrels running all that heavy stuff and 308 springs.

Also.....look at the original 9mm colt.....std carbine spring, std carbine buffer.....ran great.....and even better once people put the spacer in the bottom of the tube.

We are designing up a ULW system that will have a little more preload on the spring and a light buffer......basically, what I am running in both rifles now.

That all makes sense and you have a point with the Sub2000. I wonder if these mfg are pushing the heaver BCG and Buffers because they realize someone may try to shoot some major pf ammo and are designing the system to be as safe as possible. This could be a CYA move on the mfg.

I plan to run the lighter system for a while, it feels much better with it, going back to the heavy spring and buffer is not very appealing. 

Tell you what......you run major in a colt style barrel and you'll get case separation.....that is what I'd like to call an un-supported case. Check out how far the ass-end hangs out the barrel once and you'll see what I mean. I've also seen people doing a little grinding and polishing on the barrels to 'make' a feed ramp......not smart and dangerous.

Was talking with another shooter yesterday about these case separations and 'out of battery' detentions. We kinda are of the opinion that the way the bolt is designed.....with an inertia driven firing pin, that it is VERY hard to have an out of battery detonation....possible, not likely. We are thinking first off....this is happening with Glock mag fed lowers and that the bullet is hitting the back of the barrel......pushing the bullet into the case, then jumping up and going into battery.......at a compressed load possibly......think that one once.

BTW.....I think that the sub2000 has a supported chamber (not 100% sure on that).

But, beyond that......yeah.....heavy buffers and 308 springs, IMHO is a no no........I try to stay away from being definitive, I'm open to learning more everyday.

I am running a Glock style lower with no feed issues, but I know many are having issues with Truncated Cone and Hollow points. You may be correct on the compressed load theory as well as the unsupported case. (I will not be ramping my bbl.)

I may load a dummy round and see how much setback I get with multiple cycles.

1 hour ago, amp said:

I am running a Glock style lower with no feed issues, but I know many are having issues with Truncated Cone and Hollow points. You may be correct on the compressed load theory as well as the unsupported case. (I will not be ramping my bbl.)

I may load a dummy round and see how much setback I get with multiple cycles.

its not a matter of # of cycles......it's a matter of deflecting off the back of the barrel....pushing the bullet in, but still going into battery. Let that settle in for minute......you may have an ah ha moment.

Hello: I am going back to loading Tite Group instead of Winchester Super Target. I chronoed a bunch of WST 147 loads today and they chronoed all over the map. I have been having ejection problems and think I have found the problem. The loads are in the 130-133 range but today they were 110-136. Going to bump up the powder charge 0.2 grains and see if that levels everything out. Weather was 56 degrees so not cold. Thanks, Eric

On 2/13/2017 at 2:30 PM, TRUBL said:

its not a matter of # of cycles......it's a matter of deflecting off the back of the barrel....pushing the bullet in, but still going into battery. Let that settle in for minute......you may have an ah ha moment.

Correct, I understand what you are saying, I want to run a round then eject the unfired case to see if it is slamming into the back of the barrel extension when feeding.

I have not had any feeding issues or kabooms, I am just curious if my rounds may be doing this. More of a test of your theory and some peace of mind.

34 minutes ago, amp said:

Correct, I understand what you are saying, I want to run a round then eject the unfired case to see if it is slamming into the back of the barrel extension when feeding.

I have not had any feeding issues or kabooms, I am just curious if my rounds may be doing this. More of a test of your theory and some peace of mind.

ahhhhhh.....smart man

What barrel are you using? My question is with the NFA match barrel when I make my Blue Bullets up @ 1.10 or 1.08 with this load they drop in but will not spin freely. Factory 115gr  1.11 UMC FMJ drop in and spin freely. Should I try them? Is it the coating?

gerritm

• 2 weeks later...

I found a soft.load using Eggleston  98gr coated bullets and 3.6 gr of titegroup at 1.05" oal . It runs 126pf out of my 8.5 in barrel so adjust accordingly. This would work well for the guys with short throated barrels and these bullets are very ecomical. Message me if you need a code. 

Edited by bwikel
  • 1 year later...

I have run just about every minor load I could dream up, and my PCC's seem to just run um all.  Even the loads that did not make power factor in Pistol, still run through PCC.    For 9mm PCC i'm not sure what recoil there is??  I have accidently dropped a 9mm major load into PCC and that is a mistake!!  

On 2/15/2017 at 1:30 PM, gerritm said:

What barrel are you using? My question is with the NFA match barrel when I make my Blue Bullets up @ 1.10 or 1.08 with this load they drop in but will not spin freely. Factory 115gr  1.11 UMC FMJ drop in and spin freely. Should I try them? Is it the coating?

gerritm

I've just fixed this problem in my carbine.  Factory jacketed 115 would plunk and spin freely.  My coated 147's had to be crazy short to plunk n' spin.  The cases where showing signs of over pressure with just 3.2 gr of bullseye.  If I tried them any longer (147) they would go into battery, but couldn't manually eject live round, Had to shoot it out. And if they got past 1.10" the gun wouldn't go into battery.   I got feed up with it.  I just wanted a gun that would run whatever I want to shoot in it.  My solution was to lengthen the throat on the barrel.  I'm now shooting my coated 147' grain coated Ringers Bullets at 1.14".  They plunk n" spin, over pressure signs on primers is gone.

All this talk has me thinking I need to chrono my standard Production load (124gr Berry’s RN, 4.0gr TiteGroup, 1.140 OAL) in my 9mm PCCs. This load gets me a 135 PF in my Glock 34, so I can afford to dial it down a bit if it’s way high in the carbines. I really didn’t want to have more than one 9mm load, but sometimes that’s the way these games go...

37 minutes ago, Cuz said:

All this talk has me thinking I need to chrono my standard Production load (124gr Berry’s RN, 4.0gr TiteGroup, 1.140 OAL) in my 9mm PCCs. This load gets me a 135 PF in my Glock 34, so I can afford to dial it down a bit if it’s way high in the carbines. I really didn’t want to have more than one 9mm load, but sometimes that’s the way these games go...

I use 3.7 gr titegroup, 124 fmj, 1.14 oal average 1130 fps or 138.12 pf out of a 16” barrel

If I remember correctly, I arrived at the 4.0gr TG load because it made PF in all our 9mms. My sons STI Eagle came in lowest at 129 PF with it. If I want to stay with only one 9mm load I won’t be able to drop down too far. Or I will say screw it and come up with a PCC specific load. Depends if I can find the time or not.