Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC specific loads/bullet weight

I've had some very different results with my load data verified by chrono. I must have a really tight barrel. My numbers are way different that what other people have been getting. I had a friend bring his 16" ar9 PCC out and I shot my 16" ar9 side by side with the same loads and the results were frankly astonishing. My PCC shoots significantly hire power factor for the exact same loads vs his rifle. Here is my data.

147 grain Xtremes with Titegroup with cci primers and 1.125" oal.

3.1 gr = 1035 fps for 152,145 pf.

2.9 gr = 1023 fps for 150,381 pf.

2.8 gr = 995 for 146,265 pf. (made 130,000 ish power factor out of my buddy's PCC).

I was sure 2.8 would be close to 130,000 is pf, but I'm way over. I'm guessing I'll have to go to 2.5 to get there, but I'm not comfortable going that low on a powder charge with Titegroup. It's way below published load data.

124 grain Xtreme, Titegroup, CCI Primers, 1.125" oal.

3.1 gr = 1113 fps for 138,012 pf.

I'm thinking 2.8-2.9 grains will get me around 130,000 pf with a 124. I'm much more comfortable with that than 2.5 grains on a 147.

124 gr Montana Gold JHP, Titegroup, CCI primers, 1.080" oal

3.1 gr = 1082 fps for 134,168 pf.

147 gr Montana Gold flat point, Titegroup, CCI primers, 1.125" oal.

2.9 gr = 924 for 135,828 pf.

I load for pistol and PCC and want to stick with Titegroup so I don't have to change my press. I'm loading 3.2 gr on a 147 Xtreme for my P320 and that works great, but I'm struggling with numbers on this PCC. I'm going to have to go with some really light loads to get near 130,000 pf. I shot some WWB for grins and those suckers were pushing 1,600 fps out of my barrel. The thing is a thumper for sure.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, whatsupglock said:

I've had some very different results with my load data verified by chrono. I must have a really tight barrel. My numbers are way different that what other people have been getting. I had a friend bring his 16" ar9 PCC out and I shot my 16" ar9 side by side with the same loads and the results were frankly astonishing. My PCC shoots significantly hire power factor for the exact same loads vs his rifle. Here is my data.

147 grain Xtremes with Titegroup with cci primers and 1.125" oal.

3.1 gr = 1035 fps for 152,145 pf.

2.9 gr = 1023 fps for 150,381 pf.

2.8 gr = 995 for 146,265 pf. (made 130,000 ish power factor out of my buddy's PCC).

I was sure 2.8 would be close to 130,000 is pf, but I'm way over. I'm guessing I'll have to go to 2.5 to get there, but I'm not comfortable going that low on a powder charge with Titegroup. It's way below published load data.

That's similar to what I'm getting. I have a 16" YHM barrel and am currently running a 152 gr. RN with 2.5gr. of 231. That gets me 866 fps for 131,632 pf. I've run a few thousand with that load now and have had no problems.

21 hours ago, whatsupglock said:

I run 2.4gr of Titegroup behind a 147gr LFP bullet for my Steel Challenge load.  No problems with it.  That's the bottom of the range for my Dillon powder dispenser.

I didn't see anybody loading for a CZ Scorpion carbine,I have one and looking for a load for it

Does anybody have one ?

So far just using my PROD load for my Shadow. 135gr Bayou coated, 3.8gr N320, Tula SP primers. PF in my 16" Scorpion is running 143. A little bouncy but manageable. Accuracy is excellent. I'm going to try some different powders and some 147gr Bayous to see if I can get the PF down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11 hours ago, PopPop said:

So far just using my PROD load for my Shadow. 135gr Bayou coated, 3.8gr N320, Tula SP primers. PF in my 16" Scorpion is running 143. A little bouncy but manageable. Accuracy is excellent. I'm going to try some different powders and some 147gr Bayous to see if I can get the PF down.

I came up with a load

124 grn MTG

4.6 grns HP 38

OAL 1.115

CCI small pistol primers

Have not chrono  but I know it should be about 130 PF

Shoots really soft and accurate

Edited by Big Dog Howie
spelling error

450AK... I just shot the Florida USPSA State match with Bayou coated 135s and 3.6 of WSF (146 pf)...around 300 rounds on 12 stages in one day...I did not observe any barrel fouling, and while the comp did have some build up, it for the most part was self cleaning when the lead got to a certain point...

Edited by Les Snyder

Running these @ 1.13 OAL w/ 2.5gr TG out of a KAW 16" getting ~134 PF

Just ran 100 of these thru my JP 16" barrel. They ran great and were very accurate. Haven't chrono'd any yet but should be right there. Thanks

We tested 90's, 115's, 124's and 147's today.......out of my TACCOM ULW 9mm barrel and a FAXON Barrel with the TACCOM 9mm comp.

All factory ammo from O.R.M. Tech

The 124's and 147's ran pretty much neck and neck thru the ULW barrel and the nod went to the 124's out of the FAXON

My bullet of choice.....the 115's actually seemed to be the most violent recoil for both weapons. The 90's were ok......but the overall winner was the 124 grain bullets.

Both rifles we used have our ULW recoil system and changing out to a heavy buffer with a 308 spring made them seem sluggish and clunky in comparison.......the dot bounce was by far best with the lighter buffer system.

Both weapons seemed to function about the same......one weight just over 6 pounds and the other, with the ULW barrel was 5.25 pounds. All things being equal.....we'll be running the 124's this season and the ULW barrel and buffer system.

FYI......both rifles have JP bolts......one is Glock mag fed and the other is colt mag fed

Edited by TRUBL

I have settled on 

124grn Bayou Bullet round nose

3.2 titegroup

cci 400

1131 FPS

140 power factor

16" wilson arms barrel

On a side note, this load with a Precision Delta 124 did not make power factor.

we ran the 90, 115, 124 and 147

In order, this is how we see it:

124 least amount of dot bounce, least recoil

147 close second.

All factory......the 124's will get our vote due to the fact that they will end up shooting flatter out to 100yards.

14 hours ago, TRUBL said:

We tested 90's, 115's, 124's and 147's today.......out of my TACCOM ULW 9mm barrel and a FAXON Barrel with the TACCOM 9mm comp.

All factory ammo from O.R.M. Tech

The 124's and 147's ran pretty much neck and neck thru the ULW barrel and the nod went to the 124's out of the FAXON

My bullet of choice.....the 115's actually seemed to be the most violent recoil for both weapons. The 90's were ok......but the overall winner was the 124 grain bullets.

Both rifles we used have our ULW recoil system and changing out to a heavy buffer with a 308 spring made them seem sluggish and clunky in comparison.......the dot bounce was by far best with the lighter buffer system.

Both weapons seemed to function about the same......one weight just over 6 pounds and the other, with the ULW barrel was 5.25 pounds. All things being equal.....we'll be running the 124's this season and the ULW barrel and buffer system.

FYI......both rifles have JP bolts......one is Glock mag fed and the other is colt mag fed

Are you at all concerned running a light weight buffer with the blowback design?

I ran a 7.5oz buffer with 308 spring, and it felt really slow. Switched to an H2 with a 223carbine spring and it felt great.

Then ran the JP-SCS for 223 carbine and i liked it the most. 

For security sake, I am thinking of adding one tungsten weight and a 110% spring to it.

Not at all.....brass is coming out good....and not far.

We had a friend there with a 7.5 ounce buffer and 308 spring......seemed clunky with his 147 reloads. Switched it out to a ULW and a tubbs flat wire spring, he did not want to take it back out.

I mean......look at the sub2000, it has a 1 pound bolt and no buffer.....one of the smoothest running 9mm's I've handled to date, so we are mimicking that. And our rifles are running smooth.

Personally, I think that this summer we are going to see guys with broken bolts and mashed up barrels running all that heavy stuff and 308 springs.

Also.....look at the original 9mm colt.....std carbine spring, std carbine buffer.....ran great.....and even better once people put the spacer in the bottom of the tube.

We are designing up a ULW system that will have a little more preload on the spring and a light buffer......basically, what I am running in both rifles now.

Edited by TRUBL
4 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Tim, 

What was the PF for the 124's and 147's tested?   And how was the 100 yard accuracy with your barrel?

Thanks.

no chrono, but the 124gr was above 125pf (factory loaded).......only shot out to 25yds and it was very accurate, For s&g's we were banging a 12" plate off hand at 180yards with ease once we got the hold over. The barrel is accurate, I'll say that much.

On the 124's......how do I know it was above 125? well.....the bullets were breaking the sound barrier (over 1126fps)

Edited by TRUBL

Building a PCC. Received the barrel and was playing around with loads before I install it. NFA match barrel. Would like to use the same bullets & powder as what we load for my son's DVC. 3.4grs Titegroup & 147gr round nose Blue Bullets @ 1.125 OAL.

Factory UMC 115gr FMJ drop and spin no problem @ 1.10.

Made up one test bullet, 147gr BB round nose @ 1.10 OAL & it dropped in but was hard to spin, same @ 1.08 OAL. Is this the coating or should It be OK?

Will play with some others, but would be easier if they shoot well & dot stays on target, buy in bulk.

gerritm