Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC specific loads/bullet weight

Thought about putting this in the 9mm forum, but since its primarily for my new PCC, here it is. For those who are loading their own (or probably just shooting their production stuff), what bullet weight are you using. It may just be a "try it and see" setup but looking for a trend of lower recoil/dot movement. With center fire rifle stuff, heavier bullets tend to yield more recoil as well. What are people seeing in their PCCs? I'll probably be in the 130-140pf area I'd imagine, but are you using lighter stuff like 115s or heavy 147s?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My pistol load works great in my PCC.  I'm loading 124gr Berry's RN on 3.2gr of Titegroup.  I'm averaging 136pf with my G34, but haven't checked it with a 16" PCC.  Recoil is light and I was able to tamp it down, slightly, with an AR10 spring and buffer.   I'm hearing that the 147s are actually shooting well in the 16 inchers.

I'm using 124 FMJ loaded with 5.0gr. of Power Pistol, just to use up a pound I have. 10 shots averaged gave me 132PF thru a 10.5" Faxon barrel. The same load in my Glock 34 w/ factory barrel was 122PF, & in my DW PM9, 120PF. I like 147s in my minor pistols, so I'll shoot this load in my PCC until the PP is gone. Then I'll use some Titegroup. 

I started out using my production load, 125 Blue Bullet, 3.9gn N320, @ 1.110 oal. 130pf in my CZ SP01 Shadow.  It ran well but with 148pf in my Wilson Combat AR9 G. 

I am now using 147gn Blue Bullet with 2.5gn N310 @ 1.140 oal 130pf.  This load is a lot softer shooting.

So, I'm curious about all this too.

Where does the recoil come from in a PCC? Rhetorical question...I think, but someone may correct me.

It seems that a great lot of the recoil in my JP GMR is the result of the massive bolt and SCS reciprocating back and forth. What would make that "feel" the lightest and still guarantee reliability?

I started off running factory Rem UMC 115gr stuff(made 148PF in PCC at TN). It ran great. Ran out of the 1000rds or so that I had and grabbed some of my SS minor ammo that is 147gr SNS coated with Bullseye to make about 132PF out of my 5" 1911 at GA State a few weeks back. That felt as good or maybe even better. 

Would one of those loads cause the bolt to move slower and thus feel better? Is there some convention that we can apply to reloading for PCC? Heavy bullets at lower speed for softer feel? Or lighter bullets at higher velocities for better feel and maybe with a little gas to "work" the comps?

What say you all?

17 hours ago, wgj3 said:

So, I'm curious about all this too.

Where does the recoil come from in a PCC? Rhetorical question...I think, but someone may correct me.

It seems that a great lot of the recoil in my JP GMR is the result of the massive bolt and SCS reciprocating back and forth. What would make that "feel" the lightest and still guarantee reliability?

I started off running factory Rem UMC 115gr stuff(made 148PF in PCC at TN). It ran great. Ran out of the 1000rds or so that I had and grabbed some of my SS minor ammo that is 147gr SNS coated with Bullseye to make about 132PF out of my 5" 1911 at GA State a few weeks back. That felt as good or maybe even better. 

Would one of those loads cause the bolt to move slower and thus feel better? Is there some convention that we can apply to reloading for PCC? Heavy bullets at lower speed for softer feel? Or lighter bullets at higher velocities for better feel and maybe with a little gas to "work" the comps?

What say you all?

Heavy bullets with a fast powder(N310,E3, Nitro100).  loaded specifically for your PCC.  The load you are looking for would only make 118-122 Power factor in a production pistol.

On 10/11/2016 at 6:24 PM, JRM83 said:

I wonder if a moderate charge of a slow powder with a light bullet would generate enough gas to work the comp in a PCC. Something along the lines of 7-8gr of HS-6 with a 95-115gr bullet.

8.7 of HS behind a 115 is my 9Major load for my Open gun. So yea that will work a comp lol.

4 hours ago, JRM83 said:

How does that load run in a carbine?

I havent shot that Major load in my PCC, but I did toss some 115gr Major loads across the chrono just for fun, which it wasnt. The trigger reset was so violent(AR platform) that it actually hurt my finger and the recoil was way more than you would want to shoot our sport with. 

What OAL are you guys able to run. 

I have a Faxon and a JP barrel and depending on bullet shape I have to load them no more than 1.110. 

Xtreme plated bullets seem fine at 1.145 OAL

Any coated (Hi-Tek, or polymer) I've found wouldn't seat fully and had to load short to an avg of 1.100 to pass plunk test on the barrel. 

On October 15, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Nick S said:

Im using Freedom Munitions 147 gr RN in my 14.5" GMR13.  I have not chrono'ed it yet. Very soft shooting, relaible and accurate. 25 yd zero drops 8" at 100 yds.

I,m running the same with my SBR and my pistol. They both performed the best over the 115gr and 124gr during Bill drill testing.