Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attitude Check

myorke

I believe that getting to that perfect mental state that we desire while shooting starts with your attitude.  We've all heard that we need to "turn off" our thoughts while we're shooting.  What I don't think we realize sometimes is how our thoughts (or attitude) leading up to shooting can make or break that quiet mind.  Here's a few things I've discovered regarding our thoughts and attitude.

The first time I made the shoot-offs I remember feeling just a bit nervous. All of the "big boys" were present and we had 400+ spectators watching.  OK, maybe I was more than "a bit" nervous - it was quite intimidating.  I'm sure you know the thoughts, "What if I mess up in front of these guys and in front of all these people?"  As you can well imagine, this only made things worse.  So instead of of clinging to these thoughts I changed my attitude to, "Wow, today I get to shoot with some living legends.  And maybe, just maybe, I'll do well.  At very least I know I will learn something valuable today."  I chose to focus on these thoughts initially and embrace them as fact.  And like that, my nervousness disappeared and I was able to direct my attention to more important things (preparing to shoot.)  BTW, I did learn something valuable that day and you're reading it.

Another example that I'm sure we all can relate to: rain.  Let's be honest, few people really want to shoot in the rain (myself included.)  Most of us will think, "Sh*t, it's raining, this is going to suck!" However, the only thing you need to occupy your mind with is the task at hand which is how you want to run the COF and perhaps some visualization techniques.  In addition to this you need to realize that it's raining on everyone.   Because of this it's likely that scores/times will be down because 90% of the people will be thinking "Sh*t, it's raining..."  So, take advantage of this by not joining them.

Ultimately, I think it's important to figure out why you're thinking the thoughts you're thinking.  Doing so can bring about some tremendous growth.  But until then, controlling them is very beneficial and can reap big rewards at the range and elsewhere in life.

Call it positive thinking or optimism or whatever.  The point is that for every situation you encounter there are probably 101 different ways to look at it.  And of those 101 ways some will be beneficial to you and some won't.  Remember that we all have the capacity to control our thoughts and chose what to ponder.  And controlling your thoughts and staying focused will have an impact on your ability to obtain and maintain the "quiet mind" we desire while shooting.  The question is will you control your thoughts or will you let them control you?

Mike

Quote: from myorke on 9:40 pm on Feb. 26, 2002

Remember that we all have the capacity to control our thoughts and chose what to ponder.  ....The question is will you control your thoughts or will you let them control you?

Mike

I have struggled with this same concept for years but have only recently begun applying this to my shooting.  I still haven't mastered it, not sure I ever will, but it is an ongoing fight for me to let it all go and just be in the moment.  

I find it very helpful, especially if there is a particularly nagging thought that won't go away, to ask myself "what can I do about this problem at this moment?"  If there is a solution to the problem I do it or plan to do it later.  If there is not a solution I tell myself that the problem is, for the time being, out of my hands and I let it go.  

I am by no means a master of this process but it does help me settle in when I am about to shoot.  Now if I could just get some consistency going I'd be all set.

-jhgtyre

I use to have this huge problem with not on expecting perfection, but demanding it from myself.  When I would screw up I was really hard on myself, almost to the point I was not having fun anymore.  Now we *ALL* screw from time to time.  Some days we are better than others.  I now have a whole new outlook on my shooting now, it has propelled me to the level I am at.

The way I shoot now is I have the mindset that I am going to do the best I can right here, right now.  That is all I can ask of myself.  Obviously if I screw up I did not do it on purpose, but it happens, let it go.  In practice is the time to be harder on oneself than at a match.

Just my $.02 worth.

Great post Mike!

I have a quote from MJ in my office at work. I won't re-write the whole thing - but he says basically two things.

1) I can't accept not trying - he'd rather try and fail then fail by not trying.

2) He can't think about the likely hood of success because intuitively when one does that - they think of what can happen that is negative. He says if he ever thought about the millions of people watching him when he played - he'd never make a shot.

For me - this all boils down to confidence. IDPA has taught me so much - because it has forced me back to the basics - and the basics are where I feel like my strong points are. That builds confidence - I don't think about the negatives of a COF. All I do is know where I need to execute.

I swear - my match performances in IDPA are better than they ever have been. At the State match I only looked at how many points I dropped - I never even contemplated what would happen if I did miss. It was never a concern. That lead to probably one of the strongest matches I've ever shot (no misses)- even above my all time high of the 94' nationals (one miss) or my most favored win prior to state - the CA state stock gun Championship in 97' or 98' (two misses and FTE because I forgot a target). The only thing I don't have anymore is the finer skills - because now I don't practice. It all works out though. I'm having a blast and that's what makes things the most rewarding.

JB

The mind is the root from which all things grow. Unfortunately, the "growing" happens unconsciously; but it is observable in our self talk in the realms of doubt, fear, and self-image/worth. When we are unaware of "what is happening" - we are powerless to change it. Therein lies the great power of awareness, or becoming aware, which functions as selfless intelligence. By simply turning our attention inward and becoming aware of what we were previously unaware of, our unconscious internal dialogue looses it's power to create a negative reality. Try it, see what reality is created by the following. Set still in a quiet spot for 5 minutes and direct your attention to simply observing what you are thinking. If you can do it, an amazing thing happens. What hears what does not make a sound?

Only when the mind is quiet and still can it respond swiftly and accurately. Impeccable activity arises from the still, silence of total awareness.

If the mind machine should suddenly grind to a halt,

a new reality appears -

if but for an instant -

without fear, sorrow, or time.

What does all this have to do with shooting? Everything - eventually it is all that matters. Learning a new skill comes down to changing behavior; whether at home or at the range. Pay attention. See, know, and change behavior, instantly, using the power of attention.

be